Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

CAN NOT ACCESS THE VODAFONE WEBSITE

JamesL
4: Newbie

To the eForum Tech Team or anyone else who can help

I do not understand why I can not access the vodafone website using my BT home hub but can using my vodafone prepay dongle?

I mean it can not be my computer that is at fault or the Internet connection I am receiving because if that was the case then I could not access any website at all regardless of whether I was using my BT home hub or my vodafone prepay dongle or anything else that I could use to connect to the Internet but this is just not the case as the only problem I am receiving is from www.vodafone.co.uk although like I said before I can still access this from my vodafone dongle but only the dongle and since I used to be able to access the website two or three weeks ago from my BT home Hub why I can not do it now is a real puzzel to me that I hope anyone who reads this can answer?

JamesL

109 REPLIES 109

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@kitzer wrote:

I couldnt respond earlier.   My vodafone account & login has been messed with so much I couldnt get to the forums.  

Your eForum login and your account with Vodafone are 2 seperate entities and things being done to your Vodafone Account will have no bearing on your eForum account.

PWIAC

>> Your eForum login and your account with Vodafone are 2 seperate entities

I know that now.   I found that out by myself and its why I was able to post tonight.

Unfortunately (or luckily for you) you have not been subjected to the amount of incompetence and lies Ive been told over the past few days about my account. :Sad_face:

If it wasnt for me spending hours myself trying to find out the issue..  then myself suspecting what needed doing and then going asking for that,  I managed to get my issue fixed.    Otherwise my account would still be without any associated username and I'd still be going round in circles.  Ive had so many usernames and resets of accounts you wouldnt believe it.

JamesL
Thanks Wayne for your reply

But I am not sure what you mean by static? But if it is my IP address you want I think it is 192.168.1.88 although if it is that (and I am not 100% sure of this) I can't see what good it will do you?

JamesL

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@JamesL Thank you for confirming your details. 

We'll be in touch as soon as we have an update. 

Thanks Rahim of the Tech Team

But for some reason or other that I just can not figure I can access not only the vodafone website but my account as well as it has come back online now today just as mysteriously as it went offline which is still a real puzzle to me so as a result I no longer have to use my prepay dongle just to access the vodafone website that I need to do in order to access my account.

JamesL 

@ JamesL

Unfortunately, that number you quoted isnt your WAN (Public/Internet) IP which what Vodafone would need. 

You can find out your public IP by going to the website that I linked to  in this post.  ie  
http://ip-lookup.net/

--------

@Rahim

With all due respect, I'm very surprised that a member of the 'Tech Team' could think that what is very obviously a LAN IP would be of any use in resolving an issue related to the internet side of things  :Sad_face:

The amount of incompetence, lack of service and even down-right lies Ive received from Vodafone over the past week is beyond belief. 😕

@JamesL

You wont have a static IP because you are with BT.
BT (residential) use dynamic IPs.. that means your IP will change each time you connect to the Internet.

>> But I am not sure what you mean by static?

There are two types of IP addresses WAN and LAN IPs: 

• LAN IPs are private and used on internal (ie home/office) networks.
  • WAN IPs are public and used to be able to connect to the Internet.

Either of these can be static or dynamic:

• Static is one that remains the same and never changes.  
    Some ISPs let you pay extra to get a static IP so that you can run things like a server or other services from your broadband connection
  • Dynamic is one that changes each time you reconnect.
    Your ISP issues your public WAN IP from a public pool of addresses. 

(There's also sticky IPs but I wont confuse further).

>> It has come back online now today just as mysteriously as it went offline

What I was trying to tell you to do the other night was how to obtain a new PPP session to be able to pick up a new IP without having to go through the long process of a router reset.

I suspect you will have picked up a new & different WAN IP address and that is why you can now get to your account.

JamesL
Thanks Kitzer for your reply

But if I did pick up a different WAN IP address it happened automatically as I did nothing to my computer or home hub?

JamesL

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@JamesL Please can you let us know your external IP address?  

And we'll look into this further. 

@kitzer We're currently investigating into your issue. 

As a work around, you can add the relevant site as an ‘exception’ in your browser, which will allow you to access it.

To do this in Chrome:

Go to Settings

Privacy > Content Settings

Manage exceptions

Enter the exact https:// url

Select ‘Allow’

Finished

If you’re not using Chrome, please let me know what browser you’re using and I’ll do my best to find some instructions on how to do this on there.

JamesL
Thanks Rahim for your reply

But Kitzer in the last reply he sent me in the above post explained everything to me and that is because I am using BT to connect to the internet and they do not use a static IP address meaning I can't give you one but don't need to now as I have been able to connect to the Vodafone websites for two or three days now using my BT home hub so if it was one of the IP addresses that BT use it is not the one they are using now as being able to connect to the Vodafone website is no longer a problem.

JamesL