‘Call Failed’ error when making calls

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This issue has the following symptoms:

For version 1 Sure Signal (the one with four lights on the front):

• Lights one, two and four are all solid
  • Incoming calls, texts and internet all work correctly
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed

For version 2 Sure Signal (the one with 3 lights on the front):

• The power and system lights are both solid
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed 

For version 3 Sure Signal (the plug in version):

• The power, internet and service lights are all solid and the in use light is either solid or flashing

Troubleshooting steps:

Check for planned maintenance:

Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Reset your Sure Signal:

For versions 1 and 2:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

For version 3:

1. Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  2. Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  3. Once the lights come back on, release the button.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

If you’re still unable to make calls, there may be a compatibility issue with your Sure Signal and your location information (also known as SAC/LAC compatibility).

A SAC (Service Area Code) connects to a mast and is used to determine the rough location of where a call’s made. It's needed for the emergency services to know where a call was made from.

As a Sure Signal can be used anywhere in the country, it doesn't automatically come with a SAC. The SAC is generated based on the postcode you enter when registering your Sure Signal and it's created based on the nearest cell to your location.

In order for calls to be made, they must go over an MSC (Mobile Switching Centre). If the MSC doesn't hold the SAC for your area on its database, the call will fail.

The MSCs should now hold all SACs for Sure Signal calls. For anyone who is still affected please post in this thread and we can look into it further.

Thanks,

Jenny

686 REPLIES 686

Same problems with suresignal. I have two boxes one at home and one at work - they have both been working perfectly for nearly a year. Different ISPs and routers, both have same issues so definetely VF problem. I have been seeing this fault since last the middle of last week. Complete nightmare as all my incoming calls are simply going to voicemail.

Just to add to the list - I'm having the same problems as everyone else seems to be - I came here looking for a fix.

Inbound calls not arriving - just getting a missed call text instead (full signal - SS box is approx. 7ft from my phone most of the day) outbound calls fail nearly every time - if I keep trying it usually connects after 4  - 6 tries.

This has been happening since around 24th August, Nothing here has changed, Virgin 20mb broadband, HTC Desire HD, and same with

wife's Nokia N8.

If I turn the box off there's no signal at all in my office. SS is great when it works, useless when it doesn't.

Come on Vodafone, sort it out or I'll have to have a stroll down to the O2 shop.

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hello everybody,

Many thanks for your posts.

Ben and I are currently looking into something regarding missed calls.

Apart from those who have already supplied it to me, could I have everyone's Sure Signal serial numbers, please?

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team

Hi

I am experiencing problems with my SureSignal too. As others have said, it started around the middle of last week.

I have one of the older boxes - lights 1, 2 and 4 are all on.

The problems seem to have worsened over time. At first I noticed my phone would not send text messages and took several attempts to send. Later in the week I discovered incoming calls weren't reaching me and today I can not make outgoing calls either.

I have tested my home broadband on www.speedtest.net and I have 10.05Mbps downloads, 1.01Mbps uploads and a ping of 32ms.

I have left the box unplugged for a couple of hours and plugged it in again but still no joy.

I have now had to leave it permanantly unplugged and have the joys again of no bars/one bar :Sad_face:

Serial number is: 21231542222

I would appreciate it if a moderator could acknowledge my fault has been logged and provide an ETA for a fix.

Thank you

bgs264

***NEWSFLASH***

Well well well.....looks like a fix has been released for the call failed error affecting iphone users. Problem is I'm currently abroad so won't be able to confirm if the fix works or not but Vodafone support left a message on my voicemail today saying my SuresIgnal has been loaded with a newer firmware which apparently fixes the issue and to post feedback on this forum. They also said that if i factory reset my SS box it will revert to the standard firmware so i can only presume the firmware fix is in beta stage. If anyone no longer gets the call failed error on their iphone then please do post here as chances are your SS unit has been upgraded with the fix. Unfortunately (or fortunately? :smileytongue:) i'm stuck here in Dubai for another couple of months so can't post my feedback.

Cheers :Smiling:

@psychopomp1 wrote:

Well well well.....looks like a fix has been released for the call failed error affecting iphone users. Problem is I'm currently abroad so won't be able to confirm if the fix works or not but Vodafone support left a message on my voicemail today saying my SuresIgnal has been loaded with a newer firmware which apparently fixes the issue and to post feedback on this forum. They also said that if i factory reset my SS box it will revert to the standard firmware so i can only presume the firmware fix is in beta stage. If anyone no longer gets the call failed error on their iphone then please do post here as chances are your SS unit has been upgraded with the fix. Unfortunately (or fortunately? :smileytongue:) i'm stuck here in Dubai for another couple of months so can't post my feedback.

Cheers :Smiling:

I had a call from Lee (of this parish) today to inform me that new firmware was loaded over the weekend. Trouble is, I've had failed calls since then. Lee's looking into it. 

As ever, right hand doesn't know what the left is doing, sadly. Customer services told the fix was due in 1-2 weeks time.

Really hard to know what to make of all this at the moment. It's shocking, paying several times over for a device that just isn't that reliable. 

Here is my serial number Lee: 21196918326

Here is my serial number: 40112894643

What do we need to do to get the new firmware?

Lee: this is my serial number : 21229784877

Best wishes.

Nicholas

Hi there,

Serial number is 253112320 (Old Sure Signal)

I'm suffering from consistent 'Call Failed', and also missing incoming calls - doesn't even ring, drops straight to voicemail even with the phone sat next to me, with full signal.

*Please* can someone help me sort this - I'm in an area of minimal/zero signal, even though I can *see* the Vodafone mast from my house. The signal at home been like that through seven phones  (let alone all my other half's phones) and five years and twenty five calls to Vodafone support asking for an signal improvement.  SureSignal was my only hope for signal in the house. My ADSL is fiber to the cabinet now, no issues there... The Sure signal has been OK ish for quite a while, but now its just crippled with this issue.

Thanks again in advance for all the advice on the forum,

Cheers,

Edwin