‘Call Failed’ error when making calls

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This issue has the following symptoms:

For version 1 Sure Signal (the one with four lights on the front):

• Lights one, two and four are all solid
  • Incoming calls, texts and internet all work correctly
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed

For version 2 Sure Signal (the one with 3 lights on the front):

• The power and system lights are both solid
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed 

For version 3 Sure Signal (the plug in version):

• The power, internet and service lights are all solid and the in use light is either solid or flashing

Troubleshooting steps:

Check for planned maintenance:

Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Reset your Sure Signal:

For versions 1 and 2:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

For version 3:

1. Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  2. Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  3. Once the lights come back on, release the button.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

If you’re still unable to make calls, there may be a compatibility issue with your Sure Signal and your location information (also known as SAC/LAC compatibility).

A SAC (Service Area Code) connects to a mast and is used to determine the rough location of where a call’s made. It's needed for the emergency services to know where a call was made from.

As a Sure Signal can be used anywhere in the country, it doesn't automatically come with a SAC. The SAC is generated based on the postcode you enter when registering your Sure Signal and it's created based on the nearest cell to your location.

In order for calls to be made, they must go over an MSC (Mobile Switching Centre). If the MSC doesn't hold the SAC for your area on its database, the call will fail.

The MSCs should now hold all SACs for Sure Signal calls. For anyone who is still affected please post in this thread and we can look into it further.

Thanks,

Jenny

686 REPLIES 686

Hi..I haven't posted before about this but to give you an idea I have exactly the same problems. The iPhone 4 doesn't connect quickly when I come into my flat and have to turn it on airplane mode and back on for the sure signal to connect. What's worse is the call failed the majority of time I try to make an outgoing call. I have to call once and wait for the second sure signal light to come on and then make a call and it works. I have spoken at length to the tech team who were helpful at first trying to problem solve but not heard back from them with a resolution. To give you more information I have tried 3 iPhone 4's, a new micro sim and 2 old style sure signals before paying for the new type hoping that would fix the problem which it hasn't. I am now running iOS 5 beta as am a developer and the problem is still there. It's so frustrating and I cannot understand why Vodaofne aren't realising how widespread this problem is amongst iPhone users. What's the point in saying how good the sure signal is on adverts as well as saying on the sure signal new model it's compatible with iPhone 4 when there is clearly a number of issues.

Thanks for reading and sorry this is long winded...Rob

Below is an email from Toby in the business tech team...George/Lee please can this be looked into as a matter of urgency.

"VSS seeing his iphone reliably. While in call he never has a call drop, he has upgraded to VSS2 box and NTP stays stable on both VSS's. The issue is with the iphone registering on the VSS at all, ie when entering the property or ad hoc during the day. He has done thorough testing and we have replaced devices and replaced sims to no avail. My theory is that as the VSS boxes are sited very close to his Wifi Access Point router and his Time Vault wifi device that these are distorting the 3g signal produced by the VSS box. I have advised that we would like to retest the setup siting the VSS box further away from these wifi devices. Poossibly even on another internet line in another property,. Cust had to go and will have a look at testing this. I have emailed him and he wil get back to me directly and I will take ownership."

Same here. Me and the Mrs both have iPhone 4's and I have both the old and new style Sure Signal box.

The only way I can get either of our iPhone 4's to connect to a Sure Signal box is if I turn the iPhone off and on or if I turn airplane mode on and then off.

My friend walks in with his Blackberry Bold and it connects straight away!

That's my input and I can only imagine how many other iPhone Sure Signal users that have found this thread that don't take the time to register and comment!

I look forward to a resolution.

Hi there

We're also getting this issue on a new Sure Signal v2 with an iPhone 3GS... 

My HD2 works, but the 3GS doesnt..

Any info i can provide ask away.

Cheers

Gavin

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there fatmcgav,

Thanks for getting involved. Investigations are continuing for the time being.

I've just sent you an email asking for the details I've previously requested. If you can reply to that email then we'll add them to the investigation.

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team

Got my sure signal box a few days ago but 1st call always fails but 2nd is fine

16gb iphone 4

Lee

As per my email, the iPhone now appears to be connecting to the SureSignal correctly...

Nothing has chaged from our pov...

Cheers

Gavin

Hi Guys 

Thanks for the info, I will be sure to pass this on for you all.

fatmcgav I’m glad this is now all working for you

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team 

VSS stopped working completely at around 13:00 on Saturday. Router logs full of destination host unreachable errors.

VSS has been sat with top two lights on since then and I've now got three mobile phones in the house that are unusable.

Who do I escalate this to? It's not acceptable.

Interesting thread this, I thought my SS quality problems were kind of sorted but no, it appears my iPhone 3GS and my new iPhone 4 have not been flipping over to connect to the SS for around a couple of months now (about the time people stop complaining they could not hear me properly).

I should also add my iPad is showing the same issue, I came in yesterday evening and this morning it was still not using the SS box.  Put it into airplane mode and back out then it immediately picked up the SS box.  Did the same for the iPhone too, once it re-connected I then called VoiceMail and it connected no problem first time.

I suppose the good news is the local coverage may have improved which caused my iPhone/iPad to constantly flip between services which caused no end of grief.

Retired-BenJ
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Guys

Thanks for your comments on this.  I am passing as much info back as possible.  I will have some news for you all soon!

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team