‘Call Failed’ error when making calls

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This issue has the following symptoms:

For version 1 Sure Signal (the one with four lights on the front):

• Lights one, two and four are all solid
  • Incoming calls, texts and internet all work correctly
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed

For version 2 Sure Signal (the one with 3 lights on the front):

• The power and system lights are both solid
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed 

For version 3 Sure Signal (the plug in version):

• The power, internet and service lights are all solid and the in use light is either solid or flashing

Troubleshooting steps:

Check for planned maintenance:

Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Reset your Sure Signal:

For versions 1 and 2:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

For version 3:

1. Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  2. Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  3. Once the lights come back on, release the button.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

If you’re still unable to make calls, there may be a compatibility issue with your Sure Signal and your location information (also known as SAC/LAC compatibility).

A SAC (Service Area Code) connects to a mast and is used to determine the rough location of where a call’s made. It's needed for the emergency services to know where a call was made from.

As a Sure Signal can be used anywhere in the country, it doesn't automatically come with a SAC. The SAC is generated based on the postcode you enter when registering your Sure Signal and it's created based on the nearest cell to your location.

In order for calls to be made, they must go over an MSC (Mobile Switching Centre). If the MSC doesn't hold the SAC for your area on its database, the call will fail.

The MSCs should now hold all SACs for Sure Signal calls. For anyone who is still affected please post in this thread and we can look into it further.

Thanks,

Jenny

686 REPLIES 686

Ben/Lee I have not heard back from either of you after emailing you the requested information. Please can you update me.

Thanks Rob

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there rob3535,

Many thanks for the information. I can confirm we have received your email and that all the information you have provided has been passed on to our investigating teams.

As soon as I have any information I'll be sure to share it with the forum.

Kindest regards,

Lee

eForum Team

BenJ/Lee,

Since it appears to be taking weeks and weeks and weeks to resolve this, its very clear that your support team don't know how to resolve this issue. Why can't your investigating team simply roll back the firmware on the SS to solve this (albeit as a temporary solution)? My understanding is that this issue di not occur on the previous firmware version. 

Hey psychopomp1,

Many thanks for your post.

I've asked about rolling back the firmware and have been advised this is impossible to do, unfortunately.

Sorry,

Lee

eForum Team

Quick update to this issue.

Picked up my iPhone this morning, to find it using the SS box which it hadn't the previous day, despite being within 20 feet of it.  Called Voice Mail, the call failed, second call did go through.  Just received a call from someone who said they had been trying to get me for the last hour or so, they got either direct to VM or one ring then a call failed at their end - I got nothing.  Just after the call I checked the field test mode (and the SS lights) to find I was back on the local tower.  Which probably explains why I actually received the call.

This is isn't just bad and embarrassing for Vodafone but close to the SS product breaching ASA and Trading Standards laws.

Hi BenJ

A week or so ago you said this issue was very close to being resolved....so any news?

Cheers

As above. This is plain stupid now. How can a company as big as Vodafone treat people in this way?

What is being done to fix this issue?

Hi Guys

I have been out of the business since last Tuesday, however I did have this on my list to chase up yesterday. I did send an email however I still do not have anything further to share with you all about this issue other than the investigation is still ongoing.

I know how frustrating this is I keep saying the same things and I can only apologise for this however I am eager to get this fixed (mainly so I can speak to my mother without walking down the road, I’m sure by now my neighbours think I’m mental walking down the street talking to myself on hands free).

Thanks for your patience

BenJ
eForum Team 

Retired-BenJ
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi rob3535

I can appreciate where you’re coming from on this. I've just checked and can see that you’re an iPhone user suffering from call failed issues and dropped calls. This issue is currently under investigation. Both me and Lee are taking ownership of this issue and have been chasing and liaising with our support teams with this. Your concerns are being taken seriously and I will be chasing this up for you again today.

Did Lee send you an email? I have resent this just in case you never received the original email, if you could fill in the details I'll make sure our support team have them.

Thanks
BenJ
eForum Team

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your reply. I haven't received an email from Lee but have just received your one which I will fill in again. Toby at tech support should have had all these details but I will send them in again shortly. Thanks Rob