‘Call Failed’ error when making calls

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This issue has the following symptoms:

For version 1 Sure Signal (the one with four lights on the front):

• Lights one, two and four are all solid
  • Incoming calls, texts and internet all work correctly
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed

For version 2 Sure Signal (the one with 3 lights on the front):

• The power and system lights are both solid
  • When making a call on a registered phone, the error ‘Call Failed’ or similar is displayed 

For version 3 Sure Signal (the plug in version):

• The power, internet and service lights are all solid and the in use light is either solid or flashing

Troubleshooting steps:

Check for planned maintenance:

Planned maintenance can cause periods of downtime, so check the forum for any planned maintenance. If there is, this will be announced at the top of the Sure Signal forum.

Reset your Sure Signal:

For versions 1 and 2:

1. Hold in the reset button until all lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all lights to come on and then release the reset button

For version 3:

1. Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  2. Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  3. Once the lights come back on, release the button.

The Sure Signal will be back online in around 1 hour.

If you’re still unable to make calls, there may be a compatibility issue with your Sure Signal and your location information (also known as SAC/LAC compatibility).

A SAC (Service Area Code) connects to a mast and is used to determine the rough location of where a call’s made. It's needed for the emergency services to know where a call was made from.

As a Sure Signal can be used anywhere in the country, it doesn't automatically come with a SAC. The SAC is generated based on the postcode you enter when registering your Sure Signal and it's created based on the nearest cell to your location.

In order for calls to be made, they must go over an MSC (Mobile Switching Centre). If the MSC doesn't hold the SAC for your area on its database, the call will fail.

The MSCs should now hold all SACs for Sure Signal calls. For anyone who is still affected please post in this thread and we can look into it further.

Thanks,

Jenny

686 REPLIES 686

markrmitchell
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello,

I am getting rather frustrated with this Suresignal box, while without it I have zero signal and cant hold a call in the house, once it installed it was great full signal in the house and recoeved a couple calls and had great reception and no drops. But I CANNOT make an outbound call at all, there are 2 phones here in the house both iPhones and the same issue with both.

Called vodafone and after asking me to make a number of calls with the same result (call failed) they told me that they would recertify the Suresignal box and wait an hour and it should work and yet still same problem.

I have looked around a number of forums and saw what some people faced, I have SKY as my ISP, with a PPPOA Protocol, and not sure what ports are open or not, anyways I have no idea what to do now. As I stated I can have an incoming call that works perfectly but cannot dial out at all.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your posts here.

@ jean_r, if you still have the Sure Signal and the handset, please can you let me know the Sure Signal serial number so that I can check the registration for you.

@ markrmitchell, thanks for your post here.

To be honest as you are only having issues making calls then it would suggest that the issue that you are experiencing is down to the Service Area Code (SAC).

So that we can get this updated for you I have sent you a quick PM, please follow the instructions on the Pm and one of the team will be able to get this all sorted for you.

You can find your PM inbox here.

James

My Sure Signal serisal number is: 40120506536

I has a single system light yesterday with 4 bars on my phone (but no incoming or outgoing calls would connect).  Today back to system and phone lights both flashing.

Thanks,

Jean.

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi there jean_r,

Thanks for your post.

I've checked the VSS for you and can see it connected with our servers after your last post.

I can see a location change has been detected by the system. Have you experienced any outages with your internet line in the last week or so? Have any updates been pushed to your router?

I've forced a resync of your unit in the eventuality that location change has caused the device to fall out of sync with our NTP servers. Please factory reset the device to complete the action and let me know how you get on.

• Hold the reset button till all the lights come on or flash (about 30 seconds)
  • Keeping the rest button held, remove and re-insert the power lead
  • Once all the lights come on or flash, release the reset button
  • The VSS should come online within the hour

Kindest regards,

Lee

I am having an issue with my new sure signal box, I registered it this afternoon and I can receive calls and receive texts ok but I am suffering the same problem as everyone else and I am unable to make outgoing calls. Please can someone assist?

I forgot to mention that I have completed the troubleshooting steps and they have not worked, my sure signal number is 40121413856.

Thanks Lee,

After the factory reset and rebooting the phone I'm now able to make calls.

Thanks to everyone for their help,

Jean.

RetiredTom
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for letting us know Jean!

If you have a spare minute could you please take the time to fill out a short feedback form about Lee

You can do so here

Tom

James, Lee and others...

I just want to thank you for your prompt and courteous service. My Sure Signal is now working great thanks so much for fixing these for me.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Fantastic news! Thanks for updating the thread.

If you'd like to leave James or myself any feedback about how we handled your query then you can do so here.

Cheers,

Lee