Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Excessive Data Usage

Chickjames
2: Seeker

Hi,

I've read a few posts about the general subject, but there doesn't seem to have been any activity on those threads for a while now, so have started a new one!

Basically, I randomly checked my usage yesterday using the My Vodafone app, and it showed my bill was £184 for this month so far! Clearly and error, I got in touch Vodafone support, via live chat. Explained the situation, and was told charges were for data usage, and suggested I had heavily used the data last thursday.

I did try to explain I didn't use my phone for any data heavy activity (facetime, skype, streaming, etc.), and even if I did, it would've happened whilst connected to my work wifi.

She wasn't having any of it, and told me to talk to a store as they can tell me if there is a problem with the handset.

I am yet to do that, as they'd be closed by the time I've left work, but I've done a bit of research about this, and have further analysed my usage, using info from My Account.

Month to date, i've apparently used 13.21 gb, 5.21 gb over my contractual allowance. I've gone through all the entries, and it does seem very odd. Many of the charges happen overnight when the phone is not it use, and would be connected to my home wifi. Same goes for during the day when my phone connects to my office wifi.

There are also some odd times, which appear to be almost regular. 5.84gb was used at 00:00, 06:00, 10:00, 12:00, 18:00 - all of which I am either asleep, or in the office, and therefore not using the phone.

On thursday the lady on chat mentioned, 4.62gb was used between 00:00 and 06:00 - again, I was sleeping.

I get that the phone will periodically connect to networks, even when on wifi, but surely not to this degree?

Other forums, both here and other networks suggest this is a problem common to iPhones, specifically iO6. Is this the case? If this the case? If so, where is contact from Vodafone? 

Additionally, where was the contact from vodafone to say i am exceeding my usage? I normally spend around £40 a month, not £180.

I've downloaded a data monitor (whilst in wifi!), and that does show unexpectedly high usage, but no where near what I am being charged...8.74MB in 48hrs, rather than several GB.

Has anyone else had an issue with Vodafone about this? Did you manage to get this resolved?

If there are any vodafone admins out there, I'd be very interested to know why I am being charged for something I have not used, and lack of notification to highlight the excessive charges!

Thanks,

21 REPLIES 21

kids
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@Eftni wrote:
I've had this EXACT issue, even down to the times the data was being calculated and what vodafone were suggesting i do.

Assuming that you have an iPhone the only way that is 100% guarenteed to stop the unawanted data is to turn off cellular data whenever you think you are connected to wifi.

A feature of the iPhone is that even if your wifi drops for a fraction of a second it will switch over to cellular data but it will not switch back to wifi when your wifi signal reappears until the next time you wake up the phone.

The only time it will stay connected to wifi is when the phone is connected to a live mains power source.

Thousands of people have been caught out by this Apple  'feature'.

Eftni
I'm only connected to my data between 8am and 6pm, as soon as I get home from work I turn my data off and only use wifi, but I've seen charges on my bill usually at 0:00 for odd amounts. My phone is on wifi only and connected to power via dock.