Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Fibre dropping out in the evening

Ian1973
3: Seeker

Our Fibre is dropping out only in the evenings, we pay for 76MBs download and Upload is 18MBs. Recently approx two weeks ago Openreach installed a new cabinet on request of the residents of the estate we live on, as half the estate receives fibre(high speed internet) and the other half ADSL2 approx 3 MBs. I was on the high speed side and have been with Vodafone for approx 12 months receiving decent speeds of 70MB download and 18MB upload...Brilliant! Until a few days ago and our internet download was dropping to below 2 MB's only in the evenings, rest of the time its full speed. I've reported this to Vodafone who cannot find a problem, apparently they've sent out an engineer who has reported all the connections are good also our line is good in the Cab. I've phoned Vodafone tonight and feel as though I'm wasting my time.. Any ideas please and no its not a WiFi problem as I was connected directly into the router. Thanks in advance 

4 REPLIES 4

Ian1973

Evening speed(2).PNGMorning speed (1).PNG

SimonWilding
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Can I ask how you are measuring your speed? the most accurate way is via one device connected to the router with an ethernet cable with no other devices connected to the router either by cable or wirelessly.

The vodafone "guaranteed minimum speed" is the sync speed which the website says is "the speed from your exchange to your router - the connection into your home. We guarantee this as it is the most accurate measurement and largely within the control of us and the line provider. This means we can try and fix any problems and make improvements. It is a number that both we and the customer can measure."

This is not necessarily the speed which will show on your device, esp when using wifi, this is the throughput speed defined as "Throughput is the speed on your devices. It is a less reliable measurement as it is dependent on a number of factors, including the type of device, number of devices connected, the location of your router (including what it is next to), interference from your neighbours WiFi and wiring in your home."

In effect you might be getting the 55mbs speed which is the miiimum gauranteed speed on the 76mbs plan up to the router but what you get on a specific device will probably be less as a result of the variables above.

Remember you won't get the top speed on every device, it will be split between any device connected to the router, even if they are not actively being used.

It may well be that there is no issue with your speed of your service upto the router.

Hope that helps a bit.

Samsung A52S 5G - SM-A528B/DS

Android Version - 12 One UI version 4.1

Last Update 19.4.22

Build- SP1A.210812.016/A528BXXS1CVD1

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history (back to 1997!):

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

Hi Simon,

The download speed is dropping as low as 1MB download with a 120ms ping, it is only recently we've been having this issue. I'm measuring the speeds connected directly into the router with my laptop. I obtained identical readings using my mobile phone in which I placed on the forum- this was just for convienience, this was with everything attached turned off. It appears to be only between 6pm-11pm the download speed drops. I was using www.speedtest.net to measure the speeds. In a morning when I wake the download speeds as gone back to as it should 55-60MB download and 18-20MB Upload with a 12ms ping. I noticed a few other people on the forum are experiencing issues almost identical to me regarding download speeds in the evenings.

Issue appears to have righted itself with no explanation from Vodafone after a week...Now getting internet speeds we can use now 55MB's download and 18MB Upload even at peak times. Not a phone call, E-mail, letter or anything to explain the issue from VF.....