Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Huawei E220 - Vmc Lite Not Responding

Neptuno20
1: Seeker
Unless I only access the internet for a short period, say for email or a short browser session (Internet Explorer 😎 Vodafone Mobile Connect Lite stops responding. The title bar reads "Vodafone Mobile Connect Lite (Not Responding). If the mouse pointer is positioned over the dashboard it turns to the hourglass symbol. If the mouse button is clicked or the exit button clicked the dashboard turns a very light colour where you can just make out the detail and sits there doing nothing. Task Manager will not end the process, small window appears asking if you want to end the process but it doesn't. The laptop is still useable for programs but will not of course access the internet.The laptop will not shut down or restart from the start button. I have to perform a hard shutdown to turn it off. Any suggestions/fixes please.

HUAWEI E220
Firmware 11.117.09.04.00
VMC Lite Vers 3.2.1.156

Toshiba Satellite A135-S2276 Feb 2007
pre-loaded Vista Home Basic
6 REPLIES 6

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Neptuno,

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. It certainly sounds like the software is crashing, but it's not clear why. This isn't something we've had any other reports of, so it can only be something unique to your laptop. My guess is, some other bit of software is interfering with things.

Do you have any anti-virus or firewall software that could be the culprit? Try disabling these and see if the fault can be replicated. Also try and see if you can get it to crash on demand, or if there are any patterns to the length of time it takes, etc. All of these could give us clues as to what is going wrong, so that we can figure out a fix :)

Jon

eForum Team

Neptuno20
Hi, many thanks for suggestions. I think I may have found what is causing the problem, at least I haven't experienced the problem for a few days. I was running a piece of freeware called NetMeter which was to track my internet usage hopefully better than VMC Lite does. I had noticed that when using a landline internet connection it worked fine but with mobile broadband it was only showing upload not download. So I removed the program and as said above, I have not experienced the problem since. Fingers crossed that this is the solution. Will get back to you if not.

regards

Neptuno

Neptuno20
I was a bit premature thinking problem solved. It still occurs though not as often. I then installed Firefox browser to see if that solved problem but problem still occurs. However I have now noticed that when VMC lite shows "not responding" neither browser will access the web but I can still send/receive emails on windows mail and I can send SMS messages by VOIP program. I have obtained another E220 from a friend, problem same. Would it be worth re-installing programs from new dongle?

Retired-Daz_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hey Neptuno.

Shame to hear this :(

Would it be possible to try the modem on another computer - PC or Mac? The reason behind my thoughts on this is that you say this issue remains whilst using a replacement modem - I don't think it'll be a modem issue so much as it may be the signal / network or your computer. Can you try another location, and with the full VMC Suite? Just download and install it, it sits happily beside the VMC Lite, and is a more robust, compatible software.

Other than this, I'd check your running Processes in your Task Manager for anything that might be hogging bandwidth - I recommending Googleing a suspicious process first before terminating them! To get onto Task Manager, hit ALT-CTR-DEL and click Processes.

Let us know how you get on, and why not check out our Online Services today for a look at Online Billing? It's a great way to manage your account with us, and so simple :P

Daz

eForum Team

Neptuno20
After getting sidetracked by various attempts to solve the problem I've finally found it. You suggested in your first reply that the problem could be the Firewall, you were correct. I've been using Zone Alarm for years on cable broadband without any problem. I thought I'd disabled it as you suggested but obviously hadn't done it properly so re-enabled it. Then back in January after having tried all sorts of other remedies like uninstalling various programs/processes, I finally uninstalled it completely and bingo, no problem. Apologies for taking so long to let you know but I didn't want to be premature in stating it was fixed. Now I have no problem using Vodafone internet both in UK and Spain.

Thanks and best wishes.

Dave :lol:

Retired-Moderat
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hello Neptuno,

We're glad to see your query is resolved.

If you still have any questions, we have fantastic help available on the Vodafone Help Centre and on the Vodafone Youtube pages.

If you still need help, either a member of our team or a fellow forum user will be able to help out.

Thanks

eForum Fast Response