Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Maximum devices on 2.4Ghz wifi

Janet4668
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Does anyonr know how many wifi devices the Vodafone connect router can handle on 2.4Ghz wifi?  I have seen a quote re the vodafone router that  'if you have too many devices on the 2.4Ghz chip  it overheats and goes into limp mode and that drags down the ethernet connections'. The 5Ghz chip apparently does not have the same problem.

Although not sure about the above statement, a plan of action suggested by Vodafone, to only use the 5Ghz wifi on the router with 5Ghz/ 2.4Ghz repeaters round the house for devices not able to use/receive the 5Ghz single seems to suggest some truth.

The  plan of action by Vodafone comes after a number of weeks issues and trial solutions for outages. These only happened following the addition of some more wifi devices to our Vodafone broadband service which had previously been stable for 2 plus years.

4 REPLIES 4

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

I'm not sure about the maximum amount of devices that you can have connected, this would depend on how many are being used at one time and the amount of bandwidth they're using. It could be worth splitting your SSID and having different devices connected to different channels; instead of moving all your device traffic through one. You can find information on doing this here:

Changing Wi-Fi Channels – Split SSID

You can do this by logging into your router menu:

- Go to vodafone.connect or 192.168.1.1

- Enter the password - vodafone

- In the top right, change this mode to expert mode

- Go to the Wi-Fi tab

- Scroll down and click on split SSID

- You’ll then see the two options, one for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, in each section, you’ll see the SSID name – we’d recommend changing the name to have a 2 and a 5 at the start, as you’ll then be able to identify which is which on your device.

- Hit apply

Changing Wi-Fi Channels

- In the Wi-Fi tab, go to settings from the left menu

- Here you can change the channel of the 2.4Ghz/5Ghz channels from Auto.

- We’d recommend either 1,6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz
- Run a speedtest before you change the channel and then another afterwards, as you’ll then be able to see any difference it’s made.

You're also more than welcome to use your own router if you feel the Vodafone router isn't giving you the performance you want. Simply get in touch with our Broadband Live Chat team and they'll provide you with a list of approved routers, plus your username and password to get connected!

Please don't hesitate to pop back to us with any further questions, we'll be more than happy to help 😊

Hi  

I have already tried all that. I have asked tech support 2 questions many times.  The above is one of those.  The other is what is the connectivity test in the router diagnostics (is it testing the line or is it testing the interfaces between the modules within the router - this test is the one that fails when the everything goes very slow).   No one seems to be able to answer questions but just give standard script answers which dont answer the questions.  Can anyone answer my 2 questions?

In one of my TWENTY PLUS calls (issue still not resolved), I was told it was 4 devices of ANY kind - wired OR wireless. I pointed out that the average british family including their 2.4 children would have miles more than 4 devices connected, so are they admitting their router isnt fit for purpose? Oh noooo noooo nooooo I was told - it was my setup. utter garbage as usual from Vodafone.

machare
13: Advanced Member

@Janet4668wrote:

I have already tried all that. I have asked tech support 2 questions many times.  The above is one of those.  The other is what is the connectivity test in the router diagnostics (is it testing the line or is it testing the interfaces between the modules within the router - this test is the one that fails when the everything goes very slow).   No one seems to be able to answer questions but just give standard script answers which dont answer the questions.  Can anyone answer my 2 questions?

My impression form reading others posts,  is that if you have half a dozen devices you will likely be OK and if you have 30 you will probably have problems. No doubt it also depends on how much each device is used.  The best approach IMHO is not to use the Vodafone router.