Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia N8 Hints and Tips

VodafoneUK
Administrator
Administrator

Welcome to our list of Hints and Tips!

Please feel free to add your own finds on the Nokia N8 to help out other users. These will be compiled into the main list (at the top of this thread) periodically. :Smiling:

Thanks in advance for your hints and tips!

31 REPLIES 31

SynthFG
Community Champion (Retired)
The N8 has no inbuilt share online feature at the moment, download pixelpipe from the ovi store

Swype from the ovi store also adds to the qwerty keyboard functionality

Do not hard reset unless you absolutely have no other choice, else you will loose the QT drivers and be unable to run the ovi store along with any other QT apps until you visit a nokia care point

sigbar.png

Note I do not work for voda, My advice comes from experience and my opinions are my own

Mahmed73
1: Seeker
dear all hope that you can help me , how i can add the GPRS settings to the Nokia N8 ?:unsure:

spottycleg
Not applicable
i am the same as the other up stairs. cant get my gprs to work. have tried everything i can

SynthFG
Did you get your service messages from voda and open them

sigbar.png

Note I do not work for voda, My advice comes from experience and my opinions are my own

JetSetJim
4: Newbie
You shouldn't need service messages on an N8 as Symbian phones have automatically configured GPRS & MMS settings for years. I regularly change SIMs and have never had a problem with data (not yet tried with the N8).

JetSetJim
I'm not sure if this counts as a Hint or Tip, but I was very pleased to discover my N8 was supplied unlocked directly from Vodafone. Very useful. I also noticed that if you connect your phone to your PC via Ovi Suite you get two free games. Need For Speed Shift and Galaxy On Fire. Good for showing off the capabilities of your phone even if you don't play them!

SynthFG
Right,
It appears there is something cocked up in the voda firmware install that's affecting the internet conectivity of the phone for some users,

if you have this problem
Try a full reset
type *#7370# into the dialer, this will Reformat your phone but should not remove maps and the QT enviroment
this has helped some others with voda handsets and a similar problem
note you will probably have to start the phone setup from scratch

sigbar.png

JetSetJim
If you run the Social app on your phone Nokia will prompt you to upgrade to V 1.2. After the update the home screen widget will automatically cycle through all your Twitter/Facebook messages.

JetSetJim
I just plugged the USB connector of my wireless keyboard and mouse into the USB on the go connector of the N8 and they both work! Really didn't expect one of them to work let alone both of them together. Really impressed with this phone!