Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Problems with VPN Websites and VPN Software

as11roy
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi all

it seems to me that Vodafone Broadband have some restrictins / blocks in place in relation to VPN

Firstly a lot of VPN Websites are completly blocked from view.

For example: https://www.ipvanish.com/en/

this site along with many others seem to be blocked, even with content restrictions disabled.

Secondly when trying to run VPN software such as IPVanish there simply is no connection whilst trying to connect from my Vodafone Home Broadband.

both the Website and the Software sucessfully work if i log on to a 4g Wifi Hotspot so it had to be something with the Vodafone Router / Broadband itself.

I wish to use VPN software for viewing content streamd from KODI, wich i will add is not illegal, and the material is not of an Adult Nature or offensive in any way.

just wondered if anyone could help or assist me, and would welcome any suggestions for a fix.

Thanks in advance

Ashley

13 REPLIES 13

paulcormack
10: Established
10: Established

I dont use ipvanish but can visit the website you mention.   Also I use another VPN, infact several, and they all work fine.  MY work VPN also works fine.

As done my own vpn running in my house I can connect from external to it.

I know this does not help you at all, but at the very least it lets you know that it is not a vodafone network wide restriction.

Paul

Thank you for your reply, this is my virst time at trying VPN and not being overly technically minded probably does not help!!

I notice that there are VPN settings on the Vodafone Router, as I have not changed these could this be a problem, and also could you advise on the best VPN Router settings from the dropdown list??

Thanks in advance

@as11roy   The router setting I believe on vodafone are a client or server.

So it looks like the vodafone router can be setup as a client from the drop down list.  If you have a Service Provider (IPVanish) being one then they can supply you the setting to configure the router so all your devices on your network would be securely connected to one of their servers.

So for example one VPN company I user is Nord and they supply server names for various different clients PPTP and OpenVPN mainly - so I could simply plug the details into the vodafone router and it should connect my router to the VPN

IPVanish have a page for setting up routers : https://www.ipvanish.com/en/visualguides/PPTP/DD-WRT/   They say they only support DD-WRT & Tomato running routers but you might get joy and able to configure your vodafone router.  I personally use another router behind the vodafone router and the client on it works fine when I need to secure my whole network.

Alternatively if you are just wanting to setup VPN on any given device like your phone or your tablet or your laptop then you can simply download the software from ipVanish and run that to make a VPN connection.

You should be able to make VPN connection from your device using client software without changing any settings on your router.  If you are not then it is is an issue for vodafone.

The fact you cannot visit the ipVanish website would be concerning enough for me to speak to vodafone , if you have disabled content control there is no reason why this site should be blocked.

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @as11roy

Please come and speak to our Home Broadband team on Live Chat for help with this. 

Thanks, 

@Amanda would it not be better to have a manual for the router that went through the bios setting and explained them a bit ?

If people are constantly being referred to Live Chat or Call then this forum becomes nothing but a complaint shop rather than record of issues and fixes.

Most self help forums are about recording issues and fixes for those issues.  And a good start would be a sticky at the top with a link to the manual  (if you actually have a manual for the latest BIOS release)

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@paulcormack

Thanks for your comments. I'll make sure this feedback is passed on for you, as it will help with the service we provide in the future :Smiling:

Update.........

After giving up on this issue for a few weeks due to frustration I decided to re-visit this.

After first experiencing the problem, my first action was to request content controll to be removed, this was done via live help.

Hovever after checking my content controll settings today it seems that the settings were never changed or removed therefore this was the issue all along.

I have removed content controll and all my problems have been resolved.

Thanks for all help and suggestions, but relying on anyone via live help or even over the phone seems to be painfull beyond belief and unfortunatly in my case a complete waste of time.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@as11roy - I’m sorry it took so long, but I’m pleased you’ve got this sorted now.

Thanks for updating us on how this was resolved.

I have the same problem: can't access Nord or PIA. Spoken three times to live chat who tell me they've unblocked content, and then when i try to connect it still tells me can't connect to server. The only solution for me may be to go back to my previous service provider where I didn't experience what amounts to censorship!