Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Smashed screen

sescott85
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I accidently dropped my phone on some concrete steps and the top left hand corner of my screen has cracked.

Can this be fixed under my contract or will this be an additional cost?

Thanks,

Sarah

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi Sarah, this will only be fixed for free (minus your excess) if you have insurance for your phone.

If you dont have specific insurance some bank accounts come with phone insurance or you may be covered by your house insurance.

Failling all that you would have to pay for the repair.

View solution in original position

9 REPLIES 9

63johnw

Hi Sarah, this will only be fixed for free (minus your excess) if you have insurance for your phone.

If you dont have specific insurance some bank accounts come with phone insurance or you may be covered by your house insurance.

Failling all that you would have to pay for the repair.

Thank you. 

I'm not 100% sure if I have vodafone insurance - how do I check this?

Best,

Sarah

63johnw

I dont have it but at a guess it would show up on your monthly bills.

froggerty
16: Advanced member

If you have a monthly contract it will be printed on your contract that you should have a copy of and will be shown in what you are paying per month in your 'plan', if not then contact your insurance Company or the broker that you have your houise insurance with and ask if it's covered under your house and contents insurance.

gt37
6: Helper
6: Helper
If you do not have insurance, and need to have the glass changed there are plenty of independent phone shops that now do repairs on phone screens, i smashed mine, £40 to replace I a phone shop. Geek Squad wanted o er £150.

hrym

Be aware, though, that if the shop isn't an authorised repairer, using them may invalidate yoru warranty.   If the phone if outside that (eg 1 or 2 years old), it wouldn't be a consideration, of course.

froggerty

A broken screen would not be covered by a warrantee regardless of the age of the phone, it would be considered as damage caused by accident or other and may not even be covered by insurance.

hrym

@froggerty wrote:

A broken screen would not be covered by a warrantee regardless of the age of the phone, it would be considered as damage caused by accident or other and may not even be covered by insurance.

Agreed, but an unauthorised repair would preclude any future warranty work.

froggerty

If the phone has been damaged by the owner it would not be covered by a warrantee, current or future, in fact there's no such thing as a 'future' warrantee, an on-going warrantee might be, that's if the owner pays a regular amount to cover 'whatever happens' but that's not a warrantee, that's an insurance and within that the wording 'accidental damage' would have to be included. If you read the conditions of a warrantee it normally states that it only covers faulty manufacturers components and damage caused as a result of faulty components or failure due to poor manufacturing. If you drop it, you fix it. An 'unauthorised repair' is when something that would normally be carried out under warrantee is done by an independant repair shop or person and not by the retailer or manufacturer.