Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal 2 does not work everywhere

davidtremlett
4: Newbie

I now have done every test possible, first checking with my ISP on port opening and 100% guarantee that all ports are left open, second bought brand new router incase of problems amking sure ports 50,500,4500,8,123,1723 TCP+UDP are open, finally talking endlessly with Vodafone who have done remote access to my computer, doing 'pings' and  'tracert', the net result was that I was told there were too many high digets 100-200 therefore to much traffic, was then told that my sure signal will never function because of this fact. What is so frustrating is that the earlier sure signal (1) worked, then packed up, so a new one sent out. Since then nothing, and with 4 people in the house on Vodafone contract we are now rarely able to use the phone and for sure no 3G. Now I know Sure Signal is never guaranteed to work!

59 REPLIES 59

Thanks Jackie

Don't keep them crossed any longer....................still does not work, I sort of expected it I have become a seasoned veteran and for some people maybe Sure Signal will never work.

David

Have just been on phone and spoke with Engy or Ingy who now advises me that my upload speeds for SS3 HAS to be 1.4Mbps which of course out in the stix is often impossible at the end of the line from the exchange.

IS THIS REALLY TRUE VODAFONE??

Here we go again!!

Hi davidtremlett,

Do you have the serial number of the new Sure Signal so we can talke a look?

The version 3 Sure Signal does need a slightly higher speed as it is an upgrade from the earlier models and carries more lines. If you want to make 8 calls at once then the minimum speed is 4.13 Mbps. I don't have a specific speed for a single line, though. This would vary depending on what you have using the connection at the time.

Dave

Serial # 40131141992

I now have a flashing Red power light and a static celluar phone (orange) 1.4 Mbps upload speed.

What to do????

Back to Static Red and flashing internet icon.

One of the tech team to whom I spoke today to get a resolution, said "go to your local Vodafone shop and see if they have a SS2 they would swop it for", of course I did what I was told because so desperate to get some solution to this endless (now 6 weeks) problem, I was told "don't have them try Ebay".What amazing professional advice!!

So Vodafone what do I do next to get my SS3 working??

I still have the solid red power light on and a flashing internet icon, it's Saturday night and trying to get a signal, any help please Vodafone???

I have had a look on the Vodafone Device Page 

http://devicehelp.vodafone.co.uk/filestore/devices/Vodafone/Sure%20Signal/Sure_Signal_Questions.pdf

and here it states: 

Broadband requirements
What is the minimum broadband requirement?
The minimum ADSL requirement is 1Mbps down and
300kbps uplink.
The maximum latency from the Sure Signal to the Vodafone
network must be less that 240ms, otherwise the device
clock will not synchronise and the Sure Signal will not work.
You can check your broadband latency at a speed-check
website like www.Speedtest.net

So surely 1.4 up is enough???

Look forward to having everthing resolved!!

Hi davidtremlett, 

I'm sorry to see this still isn't working.

1.4Mbps is fine. Can you try this on a different Internet connection (at a friend/family members) so we can make sure it does connect?

It's strange that you're having the same issue with two different models so we need to determine where the issue lies. 

Let us know how you get on, 

Kay

Have been in touch with my ISP and what is very clear is that 1.4Mbps is very uncommon in UK the average is 1.1-1.2.

Here is what my ISP (part of Vodaphone sent me) and clearly if he SS3 will only work on a upload speed of 1.4 then there will be very few people who can use it.1.4 is when 16 phones wish to use SS3, mine is just 2 users and I an't even get the thingstarted.

Here is what was send, I hope others read this:

Hi David,
In the UK the average home will not sync at anything above 1.2Mbit/s. While the national average is higher than this, its because of new developments such as FTTC and adsl 2+ Annex M. For the most part while FTTC is becoming more available the average user in the UK has adsl 1 (G.DMT) or adsl 2+ Annex A (G992.5) so maximum theoretical speeds are 24Mbit/s down an 1.4Mbit/s upstream. I stress that these are theoretical speeds, an adsl connection is still based on line quality and distance from the exchange. In my years on a technical support desk for adsl and other internet connectivity methods I have only ever seen a sync of 23.3Mbit/s down and 1.24Mbit/s upload.

To further reinforce this please see the link below taken from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.992.5#Technical_information

The first line from technical information section states:
ADSL2+ extends the capability of basic ADSL by doubling the number of downstream channels. The data rates can be as high as 24 Mbit/s downstream and up to 1.4 Mbit/s upstream depending on the distance from the DSLAM to the customer's premises.

Kind regards,

| Technical Prime
Fault Management
Vodafone Business Services
Vodafone
Phone:0845 272 2666 | Fax: 0843 2185550

© 2013 Vodafone Limited. Registered office: Vodafone House, The Connection, Newbury, Berkshire RG14 2FN. Registered in England No 1471587

Once again I will do the same old trying a neighbour.

DT