Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal with Sky Broadband

andyhurst1967
2: Seeker

I have just received a new VSS-3 and connected it to my Sky Router (Sagem router), also registered it correctly via "myvodafone".

However it doesnt seem to work, the red power light is on and the internet & signal white lights are on.  But the handset light isnt on and the unit is not working.

I contacted Vodafone support this afternoon and they reset my VSS-3 and i turned off and back on my 3G signal on both my phone and iPad, but still is not working. 

I was then told that i need to ensure certain PORTS are open on my router.  I contacted SKY and they informed me that they dont support this issue.

Can anyone help me please?

Regards

Andy

69 REPLIES 69

Hi guys,

martynah99 - I've checked the system and it shows the Sure Signal connected shortly after your post. Can you just advise if you're still having issues for me?

crookie121 - I've done a resync, so can you try giving your box a quick reset for me?

For Sure Signal version 1 or 2:

• Hold down the reset button until all the lights show (about 30 seconds)
  • Keeping the reset button held down, remove then re-insert the power lead.
  • Once all lights display release the reset button.
  • The Sure Signal will come online in around 1 hour.

For Sure Signal version 3:

• Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button.

Dave

Yes, I still have the red, and white lights 1 and 2 constantly lit but no service on my iPhone 4S

It's also definitely putting out a signal as its wiping out the 1 bar signal I can get without it - can you guys please sort this for me, it's my second unit that has done this - why don't these things just work?

As a networking consultant by trade I would love to understand why you recommend inbound port forwarding - surely these things make outbound pptp/IPSec connections TO Vodafone and not the other way around

What does two white LEDs actually mean, is it connected or not? And if it is why isn't the phone connecting ?

Thanks

Mart

Hi martynah99, 

The light sequence suggests that the Sure Signal is working as expected, which would indicate a fault with the handset and it's connectio to the unit.

I can see that you've got another number registered, can this one pick up 3G, and what phone is it? 

Is your number the registered owner of the Sure Signal? Can you try transferring the ownership to the other number, then remove your number before replacing it again.

You can take the ownerhsip back after this but it may help with the connection.

@crookie121, it's great we got you up and running :smileyhappy:

Paul

Hi,

The sim that its registered to is my contract datacard sim, I dont have this with me currently, but I did go out and get a new pay-and-go VF sim.

The reason for this is that for some reason the VF system has an issue with my contract voice sim (see my SS3 configuration for the number), and despite several people at VF customer services attempting this, it would appear impossible to create a My Vodafone account tied to my phone number - hence the suggestion from your CSR that I created an account against the datacard sim and register that. - this did work previously.

Here's what i did tonight:

- Installed new payg sim in a iPhone 3G, and topped up nominal amount to allow calls  (different phone from before)

- Added the number to the sure signal. Recieved text almost immediatley saying i can now use the SS.

- Same behavior - no signal near the unit, turn unit off - 1 bar (main mast up the road)

- Reset sure signal.

- Unit initialised, and then got 2 solid amber lights for 10-15 seconds, and flashing red.

- this went away, and after 20 min or so , got two white lights (connection, and service)

- therefore exactly the same issue with the new Sim.

Other forum posts would appear to indicate that the 2 amber lights mean that my DSL connection's IP is blocked/blacklisted - Can you confirm 90.206.232.56 is within your whitelisted range please? (the whole 90.206.0.0 - 90.206.255.255 block belongs to Sky UK, and should be whitelisted , as Sky customers to get new IP's now and then as they dont offer a static IP service.)

I have also tried:

- ports (documented elsewhere on the forum) forwarded

- enabled DMZ on the firewall pointing to the SS3 reserved IP.

- both/one/neither of the above.

Any help appreciated.

thanks,

Mart.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi martynah99,

Thanks for getting back to us.

This is strange one I must admit!

So that we can look into this further and possibly raise a case, I’ve sent you a quick PM. Just follow the instructions on the PM and one of our team will be able to take a look at your issue in more detail.

You can find your PM inbox here.

Thanks,

Jenny

Everything seems to be working fine now,

Thanks for your help.

Dave,

Thanks for getting back to me.

The sure signal box serial number is 40114645738.
I've swapped the ports and the old sky router is unserviceable so cannot try it with that again.

Thanks.

Wiltshire_bod

I am having the same issue, SS has been reset and ports have been added into my router. Details below

IP address 2.127.5.69

Download 7.37 Mb/s upload 0.67 Mb/s
Ping 30ms jitter 2ms

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms MyRouter.Home [192.168.0.1]
2 27 ms 24 ms 23 ms 027f057e.bb.sky.com [2.127.5.126]
3 24 ms 23 ms 22 ms 10.245.152.97
4 31 ms 33 ms 29 ms 027808f3.bb.sky.com [2.120.8.243]
5 37 ms 26 ms 42 ms bu4.gr10.telon.uk.easynet.net [89.200.135.145]
6 39 ms 40 ms 48 ms AMDGW1.arcor-ip.net [195.69.145.123]
7 47 ms 46 ms 48 ms 92.79.213.137
8 55 ms 53 ms 52 ms 85.205.116.2
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.

SN of SS 21224719282

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Hi Wiltshire_bod,

Thanks for the information, your IP address is on our whitelist and your traceroute and download/upload speeds are fine.

Your Sure Signal connected to our servers this morning at 02:17 and to make sure it’s up-to-date, I’ve just resynced it for you. To make sure the resync completes, can you perform a factory reset:-

• Hold down the reset button until all the lights show/flash (about 30 seconds)
  • Keeping the reset button held down, remove then re-insert the power lead.
  • Once all lights display release the reset button.

Let me know how you go on.

Thanks

Andrew

marsden2809
Hi I've got the new sure signal and have tried that reset procedure but it still isn't working, anythibf else I could try?thanks Jason