cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unable to set call barring after switching to S4 mini with “Call barring rejected” message

lab1301
4: Newbie

I'm currently in Switzerland and I've barred all outgoing international calls via the website.  I've enabled Eurotraveller so incoming roaming calls are free but I want to bar all outgoing calls as well and unlike on my old phone this is not working on the Samsung S4 mini.  

About two weeks ago I switched from an old Nokia 6330i to the S4 mini. The S4 mini takes a smaller SIM so I’ve changed SIMS but kept the same number. On the Nokia call barring worked and Vodafone customer services have confirmed that my old Nokia barring password is the correct barring PIN. I have not received any SIM updates since switching from a SIM only to pay monthly contact and not sure whether this matters.

On the S4 mini whenever I set call barring (via Phone->Call Settings->Additional Settings->Call Barring) I get the message “Call barring rejected”. I’ve tried this with the same barring password that worked with the Nokia as well as 0000.   

Vodafone customer services suggested that I activate "All outgoing calls" call barring by dialling the following from the key pad but this does not work either and I’ve tried this with both my PIN and 0000

ACTIVATE: *33*PIN#

CANCEL: #33*PIN#

When I enter the above I get the message:

Call barring

Connection problem or invalid MMI code

All outgoing calls for All Basic Services

Whenever I attempt changing the barring password I get the message  "Error Unable to change password" when entering my barring PIN for the current password.  Tried 0000 for the current password as well and still can't change the barring password.

The questions that I have is:

1)   How can I set call barring from the menu via Phone->Call Settings->Additional Settings->Call Barring rather than having to enter an MMI code.  I want to be able to set and unset call barring at will bearing in mind I have signed up to EuroTraveller.

There are some screenshots attached.

37 REPLIES 37

lab1301
4: Newbie

There was good network coversage whenever I tried changing the password or setting up call barring.

I was on a SIM only contract with the NOKIA and now I'm on a monthly contact.

Ellis_VF
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi @lab1301 

I have checked into this issue and believe that it may be that your new device has a different MMI password set up on it. From what I can ascertain, the best way to resolve this issue would be to contact Samsung directly who should be able to assist you further.

Thanks Ellis.  I will investigate what you suggested and post here.

And anyway, why can't I set call barring via Phone->Call Settings->Additional Settings->Call Barring as I get the message “Call barring rejected” when I follow the instructions in the link below:

http://deviceguides.vodafone.ie/web/samsung-galaxy-s4-mini/change-settings/call-restrictions/turn-ca...

I was able to set & unset call barring on my old Nokia but I'm not able to do it after upgrading to the S4 mini earlier this month.  The call barring passowrd is a network password so I would expect it to be device independent.

** UPDATE **

I was back in London this weekend and I've been busy.  I managed to get a micro SIM to standard SIM adapter from vodafone near Bond Street and this has helped a lot.

1. Vodafone in Hackney issued a new SIM to see whether this resolved the problem and there was no change. I  was told that this was a faulty phone issue and that I should contact either Samsung or Carphone warehouse. MMI codes such as *33**OLD_PIN*NEW_PIN*NEW_PIN# do not work
  2. Carphone warehouse in Oxford St inserted the vodapone issued new SIM into a Sony phone and tried call barring and got a Network rejection message. They tried calling Vodafone customer services but it sounded like the fire alarm had gone off and this was around 18:00 on Saturday
  3. Samsung in Oxford St said MMI messages like *#06# were working but MMI messages to the network were failing which suggests that this was a network issue
  4. Unlike Carphonewarehouse, all Vodafone branches in Oxford St and the one in Hackeny did not have spare phones as apparently they all come in sealed boxes so I could't try the SIM test there and I didn't have my Nokia with me either
  5. I used the SIM adapter to insert the new micro sim into my old Nokia and again call barring did not work.  Call barring used to work on this phone when I was on a Vodafone SIM only contact but no longer does under the new monthly contract. I have a photo of the error and will post it on-line tomorrow

So basically, in my view this is a network problem as it is highly unlikely that three phones, all different brands,  can be faulty.  The Nokia one used to bar calls on Vodafone under my previous SIM only contract.  I wIll try this on my second spare Nokia (different model) tomorrow.  I'll post the pictures in a new thread as this to me now definitely looks like a Vodafone network issue rather than a phone software ort hardware issue as I've been told by Vodafone.  I'll post a link to the new thread here.

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@lab1301 wrote:

I'll post the pictures in a new thread 

Rather keep everything in this thread as posting in a new thread will break the continuity and cause duplication of information. 

PWIAC

Further to my last post, please find attached some pictures.  Call barring does not work on all three phones.  On the two Nokia phones the message is "Request Not completed" when I navigate to the barring option via  Settings->Security->Call Barring Service.  The barring code I used was the same one that I had when I was on a SIM only contract.  Carphone warehouse geeksquad used a Sony phone to test call barring and got a "Rejected by network" or similar message.

On the Samsung call barring does not work either via MMI codes or the menu options.  As you can see from the Samsung display I'm currently roaming with Swisscom.  Basically, call barring has not worked on four different phones, one of which was a carphonewarehouse geeksquad test phone.  I can check the call barring status via the codes below but I can't set call barring, which, is what I'm trying to do:

http://support.vodafone.com.au/articles/FAQ/How-to-use-GSM-Codes-to-manage-call-barring

Any suggestions Vodapone?  

Dear vodafone support/customer services,

I would strongly suggest that you read the preceding posts so that you have a full history of this incident.

1. Can you please confirm that barring is allowed and activated in the home location register (HLR) for my account?
  2. Can you please reset the barring password to 0000
  3. Your engineers should be able to see the supplementary service messages sent to the HLR to switch barring on/off .  Some feedback would be much appreciated.

Disgruntled customer

Hi lab1301,

So we help further, I’ve sent you a private message to get in touch with us.

Thanks,

Sarah

Thanks Sarah.  I sent an email yesterday evening as instructed with all the relevant information.