Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlock iPhone 5c

Mdee
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have an old iPhone 5c  which was my vodafone contract phone up until about 18 months ago.  I now need to unlock it so my niece can use it on the 3 network do I need to put my sim back in it in order to get it unlocked?

thanks

3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @Mdee

No not normally do you need to reinsert your Vodafone SIM card to unlock unless it’s details have fallen off Vodafone systems and then you’ll need to reinsert it and make some calls etc. 

Use this form > Vodafone unlock-code-request

An iPhone is not unlocked via inputting an unlock code but instead is unlocked via Apple and their Database.
Vodafone would email you to confirm it's been requested after accepting your unlock request. (Check Spam Inboxes too)
The iPhone isn’t unlocked at this stage.
Apple then can take occasionally approximately up to 30 days sometimes to complete an unlock request made by a Network.
Periodically insert an active Non-Vodafone Sim Card in the iPhone and hook up to iTunes.
From the iPhone 5 onwards there's not normally the need to hook up to iTunes to complete the process.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Is it necessary to make calls etc., if toeing the line and ordering a Vodafone PAYG SIM for those Vodafone customers who ordered via a third-party, such as Carphone Warehouse?

I suppose my question is, if I put the PAYG SIM in and activate it, then remove it and replace with my Vodafone Pay Monthly SIM, will I qualify for the free unlocking service 30 days later?

If it is necessary to keep the PAYG SIM in, and make calls (requiring a top up - and odd explanations to people when you call them from an 'unknown' number) the policy is at odds with that detailed on Ofcom's website; the unlocking process will not, therefore, be free-of-charge.

I would be interested to know whether Vodafone will refund customers the cost of their Pay Monthly SIM contract for the duration they are unable to use it?

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@hudtek I've replied to your post regarding this here.