Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

V3 Solid Red Light only with BT Home Hub

RoyNaismith
2: Seeker

I have the red light of death - solid power light, no others.  The helpful chaps on the phone talked me through a speed test and route checking and all was fine.  We re-booted the Sure Signal (reset button held for a minute, kit unplugged during that minute) and it immediately reverted to the red light of death.  This machine has been working fine for the last few months, now it has kicked its legs in the air.  Further calls to support (and a swatch at the eForum) indicate that Vodafone are blaming the Home Hub 3 kit I have (less than a year old) and have suggested I speak to BT to upgrade.  BT are more than happy to upgrade, and for only £35.... Now, I wasn't that happy having to spend £100 on the Sure Signal just to be able to use my phone in my own house, but now Vodafone want me to fork out another £35 to get their piece of kit to work.  This doesn't sound right to me, and I'm not happy (having spent the best part of two hours on various calls and live-chats today.  This piece of kit WAS working - so why has it stopped?  I told the Vodafone man I had BT Home Hub and he still sold me this piece of kit.  I would like this to be sorted, soonest please.  Either make it work, give me the £100 back, or give me £35 to buy a new router.  Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi RoyNaismith,

The solid power light only means that there’s no hardware problem with the Sure Signal itself.

If the Sure Signal was working with the Home Hub 3, have there been any changes to the Hub such as a firmware upgrade at all?

Also, have BT been performing any maintenance which may have affected your internet connection?

It may be that you’re affected by the issue mentioned here.

To rule this out, can you try your Sure Signal on a different internet connection, that of a family member or friend?

If this doesn’t solve things for you, we’ll need some additional information. Can you provide the following please:-

Your Sure Signal serial number.
Your speed test results from here.
Your ping test results from here.
Your external IP address from here.
The results of a traceroute.

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run
Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
A black box will appear.
In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter
Paste the output of this command into your reply.

Thanks,

Andrew

RoyNaismith

Thanks for your reply. 

Speed test:  Down 3.95 Mbps, Up 0.96Mbps

Ping test: Line quality B*, Ping 25ms, jitter 1ms

External IP: 86.136.145.125

Routing:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Roy>tracert 212.183.133.177

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms 1 ms <1 ms BThomehub.home [192.168.1.254]
2 20 ms 20 ms 20 ms 217.32.147.0
3 22 ms 22 ms 22 ms 217.32.147.46
4 23 ms 24 ms 23 ms 213.120.176.34
5 23 ms 23 ms 24 ms 217.41.168.251
6 23 ms 23 ms 23 ms 217.41.168.109
7 23 ms 23 ms 24 ms acc2-10GigE-0-2-0-4.l-far.21cn-ipp.bt.net [109.1
59.249.225]
8 38 ms 23 ms 24 ms core2-te0-7-0-14.faraday.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.
249.139]
9 24 ms 24 ms 24 ms peer1-xe-8-2-1.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [213.121.
193.137]
10 28 ms 27 ms 79 ms lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
11 25 ms 25 ms 25 ms 85.205.116.2
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Roy>

RoyNaismith

Sorry, to answer your earlier questions, there have been no changes at all.  The SS was working fine, then stopped.  No BT work, no change of Hub, no change of supplier, etc.  

Hi RoyNaismith, 

Does it work at a different location? At this point we'll know if the issue lies with your Internet connection/router or with the Sure Signal itself. 

If it's the Sure Signal we can arrange a repair for you. 

Thanks, 

Kay

The Homehub has, mysteriously, started working again.  Just like that.  I didn't do anything.  Doncha just love technology?  What shall I do next time it stops (it's been up for a few days now!)

... and now the Sure Signal has mysteriously STOPPED working again. It has been u/s for some weeks now - I keep hoping it will just pop back on again!  I have the red light and a slowly flashing first white symbol and no 3G signal.  Again, very frustrating to have spent the money and still not have any signal!  Please help.

Hi

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Matt

Thanks Matt - the results of the various tests are further up this thread - would you like me to do them again?

Ben_H
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi RoyNaismith,

If the results are all the same as before, we won't need them reposting. Can you try the suggestion Kay made here so we can rule out a fault with your unit? 

Cheers, Ben