Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Smart Ultra 6

treetops37
2: Seeker

When I click on the ring tone I want in 'sound and notifications' to choose the one I want, my phone calls do not use it, instead it rings me with what I assume to be a default ringtone. When I go into settings my choice is ticked, but the phone isn't using it. The only way I have found to change my ring tone is to set it individually for each contact from my contact list under 'edit'. I obviously cannot do this with every single contact. I wandered if the custom ring tone for individual contacts was somehow over riding the general ring tone change setting. If it is a case of changing the settings, I would be grateful to know how. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Strangely enough it seemed to sort itself the next day. So I really don't know what the problem was. If it reverts back to default ringtone again, I will try re- setting. 

View solution in original position

9 REPLIES 9

hrym
17: Community Champion

No, the individual tone shouldn't over-ride the global one.   When you select the tone in Settings, can you get it to preview the sound?   If it plays then, then the tone file itself is OK but, if not, there could be a problem with it.  If you select a different tone, can you get that to work?   I'm assuming this is one of the pre-installed tones and not one that you've added yourself?

The first port of call if the problem persists would be a factory reset.   Make sure you have all your content backed up first.   You could also drop into a Vodafone shop and see if they can get one of their display models to use the tone you want.   If they can, it's an individual issue, if not, it's a general one.

treetops37
Thanks for your reply. The tone I choose will play samples and I have tried ticking different ones, but none of them work when people ring me unless i have set a tone to an individual contact it just plays what I assume to be a default tune.
Yes they are all pre installed ones. I tried downloading a ring tone app but the tone I chose from there didn't work either .
Suzanne

hrym

There is one other thing you could try: set the ringing volume to maximum in case it's as simple as that.   If you can hear it now, just adjust it later to a more comfortable level.

If it still doesn't work, try my second option, which was so see if you can get alternative tones working on a demonstration model.   It'll need to have a SIM in it so that you can ring it of course, but the shop should have one, or you could use yours - and get one of the staff to make the call.

I've always chosen my ringtone and never had a problem, but I haven't used a recent Vodafone device or this particular model.

It's possible the shop will offer to send your phone off for repair.   As a reset will be part of that process, make sure you've backed up all your content in advance.   You could also decline and do a reset yourself, which would take only a short time and save being without a phone for a week or two.  I'm pretty sure a reset would be all it takes.

OK I'll try it. Thanks for your help.

Hi @treetops37

Are you still experiencing this problem?

Louise

Strangely enough it seemed to sort itself the next day. So I really don't know what the problem was. If it reverts back to default ringtone again, I will try re- setting. 

hrym

Aaaargh, I hate it when that happens!   I mean, I'm glad for you, but it doesn't explain why it happened in the first place.  I'm left with my standard suggestion, whish is that it's a resource issue.  I was beginning to think that maybe a simple power-cycle would fix it and perhaps it has?

treetops37
What is a power cycle and what kind of resource issue?

hrym

Sorry.   I had to ask the same question when a computer support person asked me to do it*:smileyembarrassed:.   Turn it off and turn it on again.  Resource issues refer to memory and storage (plus a few other things).  Basically, it means that the system doesn't have the resources to do what you want because they're being taken up by other processes.   One of the ways of clearing them out is to re-initialise the system by restarting it (it power cycle).  Most operating systems are pretty good at doing spring cleaning by themselves, but occasionally they get ovewhelmed and need a little help.

* "I'd like you to cycle the power", said in a rich Californian accent.