Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone wont allow use of personal routers on their Broadband

mphasey
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Had to cancel my Vodafone Broadband today, after calling customer service to request the PPPoe access details to the broadband network so I could configure and use my own Draytek router (that has a large number of features, not available on the "Vodafone Connect" Router) like VOIP and extended AP connectivity. I was told that the PPPoe details are a secret and a security risk if divulged to the public, (what utter rot). Every ISP I have used over the years BT, Talk Talk etc have had no problems letting their users have this information so they have control over what equipment they use to access the service. I have invested a considerable amount of money in a high spec router that meets all my requirements, that the "Vodafone Connect" router cannot. This was not an unusual request, I'm sure there are many in my position.
28 REPLIES 28

Quote  "you could try complaining to OFCOM"

You would have to join them as a customer first and pretend you didn't know about this hugely restrictive t&c. I can't work with such deceit or the time it would take with a poorer service until Ofcom responded. If you joined them admittedly knowing, then Ofcom will say that you accepted the t&c no matter how controlling it is.

Quote "As mentioned previously, Vodafone don't support the use of an alternative router."

Charles, if you mean technical support, that's the last thing anyone able to set their own router up would want. I think you already know that really.

Cupoftea12
1: Seeker
Totally agree
What utter rot from vodafone
Every other ISP offers this and their router has persistent known firmware issues
Appalling service have contacted Ofcom to escalate

Just managed to get help from vodafone at last.

I had joined Tuesday 1/11/16 and found that the router they supply its not suitable for my use and not capable of running all my wifi devices and wired network.

I was advised a few times that my only option is to leave and change my service provider, this was because the staff are under strict instruction to not give out URN and PW so I could use my own router, I was even offered £50 of my service because of this, All I wanted was PPP authentication information. 

I had made a few hours of calls to vodafone yesterday asking to talk to management and tech support team to see if they could resolve my issue and asked for my complaint to go higher as the router has some major issues and people should be allowed the option of using their own.

I received a call from someone in the higher support team that had more knowledge, I had to explain to him about my usage this was making the VF router get hot and when I checked the status of it the router the CPU was running at 98% and the memory was 86% used, this was with all my 20 devices 5 of these being LAN connected and not all in use at the time but they do idle on the network, I was also getting disconnection issues with my CCTV service and being notified every 30 minutes because it stopped streaming due to lake of Internet as the router had crashed again because over loading it.

I understand the VF router has some major issues and is getting firmware updates but no ETA has been announced. this is missing some options to expand your home network.

Even if this router had the option to use as a modem this would of probably helped many people. I couldn't even use some sites on windows 10 but could on windows 7 this is was not because of my computer as I am now using my own router and able to access them, this seems like a DNS or a firewall issue with the VF router.

This had taken me 2 days emails and calls as well as complaining on twitter knowing that this can be done still.

I called this morning as I hadn't received my call back I was expecting to be looking for another ISP today, to be told that a note had been made on the system that has authorised them to issue me a URN and PW so I can use my own router, at last I was surprised.

But you do need persistent and put your case forward so they can see the issues with this router and not expect people to have to wait for the firmware updated to fix the issues.

ASUS Router Speed Test WiFI

147818346214959319931.png

router.png

I just contacted Vodafone, making reference to dannylee1980's and other cases. I was told that a) Vodafone still don't know when the firmware will be released to fix the separation between wired and the two wireless sub-networks and b) that Vodafone have emphatically stopped giving out the vDSL username and password.

This is a disappointing way to treat customers. I recommend that users considering Vodafone Broadband choose a different provider. I regret doing so myself.

I may seek to go down the Ofcomm complaint route, but having had a shocker migration recently (BT as it happens - leading to early cancellation with them when they raised prices and moving here to Vodafone) I am reluctant to end up in a place where I have to move provider outside of the standard process.

dannylee1980
4: Newbie
I would keep calling and to be honest pester the hell out of them, make a complaint to the ceo.
Also go through the tech team ask for managers, put your foot down and be forceful.
Don't give up push them back it's not in any policy the have in the T&C as long as your router is CE approved

Nowkillkennys
1: Seeker

dannylee1980
4: Newbie
Good chance that it won't work as it's not .uk service listed

Vodafone have changed their policy at last. See http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-Home-Phone/HOW-TO-Use-a-third-party-router-on-Vodafone-VDSL...

Just got my log in details. The agent said she couldn't at first, but then checked and provided them.

Looking forward to a decent home network setup at long last.