Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wifi Calling gone in 7.0 S7?

dj9928
4: Newbie

So I am running the beta 7.0 for S7, the Wifi calling option has vanished.  Now you may say it hasn't been added yet as its beta but the option is confirmed to be there for EE and 3 sim cards. Vodafone nothing.

84 REPLIES 84

So why non iPhone users are treated worst? 

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

Android is an open source product and not proprietary - no one owns the software and each manufacturer and network can customise the software as they see fit. That means that Vodafone can apply their branding and their rules.

iOS is developed and owned by Apple and they control it from cradle to grave. Also Apple is more powerful than any network and, given that it is the market leading smartphone, networks have to sell it.

Life is all about choices and the choices here are buy an iPhone, a Vodafone branded Android phone or an Android phone from an independent retailer without Wi Fi calling.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

No mate. When i bought my phone WiFi calling was working on Android 6.0.1. I was in store to ask if it will work and i've been told that will work perfect on non branded phone - that was by store manager - and now i'm updated to new software and my feature does not working as it was. 
So what i should do now? Go and ask store manager to pay part of my bill as he make mistake? Or maybe i should sell my phone and buy directly from vodafone? 
As i said before. Put a EE or three sim card to phone with Android 7  and WiFi Calling will work on unbranded phone. If it will be still working at end of my contract i will leave Vodafone. 
I also had many other problems. I was fighting with advisors for over 8 months to get one of my contracts counted correctly. I've few times a month on chat or phone and spend minimum 2 hours each time to explain what is wrong and after promise by advisor everything was same like before my call. Really poor customer service for me, taking out some features for customers who not bought phone directly from network where prices are crazy. What next? Cutting off 4G for non branded phones? 
This network was best on market for me till september last year. 
Now is only one thing - leave it. 

jeffkinn

The store manager was wrong. Wi Fi calling has never officially worked on non branded phones right from the very beginning. If it worked it's because there was a software loophole that allowed it to work and that loophole has now been closed.

See this article from 2015

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/135274-vodafone-wi-fi-calling-service-is-now-live-but-there-s-a-catc...

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

So Vodafone should train their staff corectly. 
Now in places where i am and have no network signal but i have wifi i can not make or receive calls becouse some moron was wrong. 

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@sonic1 @dj9928 @iMoCks

Thanks for making us aware of these issues.

To take advantage of Wi-Fi Calling, you need:

• A Pay monthly Red or Red Value Bundle, Red+ or Business Premier*

• A compatible device:
    • iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus or iPhone SE
    • A Samsung Galaxy A3 (2016 and 2017), A5 (2016 and 2017), S6, S6 edge, S7 or S7 edge bought directly from Vodafone at one of our stores, online or by phone through our customer services team.

Like i said. We - non iPhone users - are treated by network worst than iPhone users. 
That is not fair. 

It's dissapointing that Vodafone have made this decision and it can only harm them, nothing positive will come of it after people start using search engines to find the answer and conclusion we have come to in this thread.

Thanks for the clarification.

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@sonic1

We're sorry to dissapoint you.

Thanks again, for your query.

If there's anything we can do for you in the future, please let us know.

jeffkinn
It's been the same way for two years since wifi calling started. Customer sentiment hasn't made them re-think the policy yet.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png