Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Full Fibre 2 Router Connection

shibs_uk
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi all,

We have signed up to Full Fibre 2 Broadband. Our activation is set for tomorrow. We have received our WiFi Hub. This came with a microfilter and instructions to plug this into a master phone socket. We subsequently received an email with instructions to plug the hub into the ONT box via Port 1. I'm not really a technical person so don't know which advice to follow?

Our ONT is located in a hallway cupboard and we want to be able to connect our Hub via an ethernet cable to our freeview box as our wifi signal can be pretty rubbish at going through our heavy fire doors and solid masonry walls, so locating the Hub in our hallway isn't a great option for us.

I've included a picture of our ONT set up - the builders (our flat was newly built about 4 years ago) left an ethernet cable plugged into Port 1.

Is this where our WiFi hub needs to be located and is it the only place we can have it?20230313_124033.jpg

10 REPLIES 10

Cynric
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@shibs_uk A bridge is a box (often looks like a router, sometimes a router can even do this - depends on model) that has a number of ethernet wire ports to connect things to. So it kind of goes like this ...

Internet --- Router  --- WiFi Signal --- Bridge  --- Desktop Device

See https://gospeedcheck.com/article/what-is-a-wifi-bridge-1043

I have an old TP Link access point that can be an AP or Bridge or Repeater, all depends on the settings. I don't use it now but because it's so versatile I keep it for emergency.