Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broadband WIFI keeps disconnecting

apeshev
3: Seeker

My WiFi keeps disconnecting devices from the network and most frequently my main PC. It frequently happens when a new high impact connection is open such as a video stream.

I had 0 issues while using BT Fibre and their router was perfect. From day 1, the Vodafone router has been playing up. Also, all of the online contact or help channels are currently down for Vodafone. 

What is the quickest way to get this sorted and is it possible to get a new router or even better to get a normal one from a market leading company and not the useless Vodafone ones?

18 REPLIES 18

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@apeshev  Have you looked into the WiFi adapter power settings on the related devices?

I did. I have checked all drivers just to make sure it's all up to date on my PC.

Ripshod

First thing I'd try is a factory reset followed by disabling IPv6. Reset by holding the recessed reset button in for a good 10 seconds while powered up. Once it's rebooted leave it alone for ten minutes before going into the "expert" settings to disable the IPv6. Don't ask me where the setting is, I don't use isp router's. 

I did that when the router came in. I haven't tried disabling IPv6. I am not entirely sure why that would cause issues unless the device software is terrible which I suspect it is.

apeshev_0-1699624731057.png

Do you mean switching IPv6 for my local network?

Ripshod

It'll take a while for the image to be moderated, but yes disable it wherever you find it. Follow with a final reboot. 

Cynric

@apeshev Yes, turn off the last two switches for IPv6 and IPv6 ULA. They are pointless as VF don't provide IPv6.

Jayach

@apeshev wrote:
What is the quickest way to get this sorted and is it possible to get a new router or even better to get a normal one from a market leading company and not the useless Vodafone ones?

Using your own router is definately possible. but you will lose easy access to the phone connection if you are on digital voice.

Just get your PPPoE credentials from live chat: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

apeshev

Thanks for the help. I have disabled the IPv6 settings for the local network. Just for clarification, is that only related to the address space used in the local network?

I have also contacted Vodafone and they arranged a callback withing the next 48 hours. The person on the phone however, was trying to convince me and I quote "This Fibre package is not designed for WiFi and I should take out a Pro plan". I only have at most 8 devices and probably at most 2 streaming at the same time ever. I said tp him to stop talking non-sense honestly. This was outrageous. 

At this rate, I am more likely to leave Vodafone as I had no issues whatsoever with BT and their quality router.  I didn't even have to touch the settings in it and worked perfectly.