Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can I Replace Vodafone 'Full Fibre' Router with TP-Link

KevinRoe
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have a house that is long, oddly shaped with very thick walls. As I result I have a centrally located Router, feeding a TP-Link Network Hub and from there a hard-wired network, with 4 TP-Link Access Points plus CCTV NVR system. We also live in an area that has no mobile phone coverage, so rely on 'WiFi Calling' through the router for mobile calls etc. The system has worked perfectly since it was installed 7yrs ago, accepting devices such as TV's, Alexa, smart phones, printers, scanners etc as needed. Over that time I also moved from BT to PlusNet, without a problem. Unfortunately, 3 months ago I moved from PlusNet to Vodafone and I'm having major connectivity problems. I'm NOT a Tech, but I'm told the Vodafone Router is 'blocking IP Addresses'. For their part Vodafone dont want to know, as I'm using TP-Link Access Points. MY QUESTION: is it possible to replace the Vodafone 'Full Fibre' Router with a TP-Link (or other) Router or will Vodafone block that too? It'll mean I lose my land line but i'll live with that (for now)

11 REPLIES 11

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

Vodafone doesn't "block IP addresses" unless you've enabled filtering on their DNS servers,  So step 1 is probably to try different DNS servers.  Next common issue is going to be if you've ever had IP addresses to Manual or Static for various devices - it's possible that those addresses are no longer "reserved" or on the wrong subnet and would need manual and static addresses amending.

If that's not what's been done then try powering down your NVR, then the switch, then the router.  Then reboot the router (let it fully initialise), then the switch (again let it fully initialise) and finally the NVR.

See if any of that helps - it may not, but give it a go!

As I said, I'm NOT a Tech and as a result I dont get involved in changing device settings. I'm a simple bloke who does 'Plug and Play'.  I have had 3 months of constantly changing problems and when I talk to various different Tech's they all tell me that they feel the Vodafone Router is blocking IP Addresses. One thing the Vodafone Tech 2 did was to install a fixed IP Address but it didnt change anything much. TODAY I can connect my iPhone to one Access Point but nothing else, TWO DAYS AGO it would connect to the Router and nothing else. 5 DAYS BEFORE THAT it would connect to the Router and a different Access Point. My wife's iPhone is different again, some of our 3 Android laptops, 3 Macbooks, 2 iPads etc, etc all connect to some Access Points but not others and it changes every few days. One constant is that all 5 TV's will connect but NONE of 6 Alexa or our scanner will connect to ANYTHING at all.

I'm told one answer could be to replace the Vodafone Router with A.N.Other, hence my question

Cynric

I am sorry @KevinRoe  but the solution, whatever it turns out to be, will be likely to involve you doing something technical.

Meanwhile, I am stepping away from this conversation. 

TKX

Jayach

When you say "blocking IP addresses" it sound like you are referring to local addresses, the previous replies assume you were referring to remote addresses.

Either way, unless you set it up, nothing is "blocked".

But to answer the question in your title, yes you can replace the Vodafone router with one of your choice.

However it won't be P&P, you will need to get your PPPoE details from Vodafone, and you will lose easy access to the phone service.

Thank you, that's great. With our previous suppliers (BT and then PlusNet) they did block 3rd party Routers. As long as I know that it can be done I'll work on switching. 

CrimsonLiar

I'm an ex-Vodafone customer and now a BT customer, neither of which blocks third-party routers.

And we are back to what exactly what are you trying to do, and not how are you trying to do it!

Jayach

@KevinRoe wrote:

Thank you, that's great. With our previous suppliers (BT and then PlusNet) they did block 3rd party Routers. As long as I know that it can be done I'll work on switching. 

I don't think anybody "blocks"  the use of 3rd party routers anymore, as it was ruled a restrictive practice.

However they don't have to make it easy to do, and won't give support on it.

Vodafone are happy to give you your PPPoE details (username and password), just use live chat and ask. https://www.vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd/

You did notice what I said about the phone service?

Any problems just ask on the forum.

Thank you. Yes, I accept that Vodafone wont support an alternative Router but I've had three months where they wont really support their own either.

I didn't know that BT/PlusNet were now unrestricted. That must have happened in the last 4 yrs (when we moved from BT to Plusnet)

I noticed your advice on the 'phone line. I'm going to see if I can divert to a mobile but at the moment my main problem is getting any sort of internet access on any sort of kit. 

Vodafone aren't helping to resolve the problems I have so I expect them to frustrate any process. I don't expect them to help! 

Thank you for your advice. Very reassuring and helpful