Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Extending distance of router from Openreach box

paulbrownell1
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I tried to move my fibre router further away from the Openreach box by using a 10m CAT6 cable to help extend the WiFi distance. This worked well and I had full service for 80% of the house but needed a super WiFi booster to cover the rest. However, the booster wouldn’t connect to the router and I was told it was because my cat6 cable was interfering with the connection and I had to revert to the original set up, which means whilst we have full coverage, the more distant parts have low connectivity. What cable can I use to extend the distance of my router from the box that won’t interfere with the booster to help increase speeds around the house (the house is only small but would appear to have lead lined walls!)

5 REPLIES 5

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

What a load of rubbish. There's no way the choice of WAN cable can affect the WiFi. You got fobbed off just to finish the conversation and have another case marked closed (that's what they get paid for - numbers).

Sheer incompetence. 

Thank you for the response, much appreciated. To be fair, after 90 minutes on the phone she got the booster working, but I was far from convinced the cable was the issue. That said, I still need to move the router, is Cat6 good enough to do the job (I’m not brilliant at wiring so took the solution from the help desk at face value).

Ripshod

Cat5e is good enough for what you want. Cat6 is better. Not all cables are equal - there's a lot of poor quality cables on amazon right now for ex ample. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond,

much appreciated. I’ll reconnect tomorrow on the cat6 cable.

Cynric

@Ripshod Let's face it, lots of the stuff on Amazon is rubbish these days.