Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone Pro 2 router keeps disconnecting WiFi devices

Danb28
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have recently upgraded my Vodafone broadband to Pro 2 with FTTP 500MB

I have the pro 2 (speaker looking grey and white router) with two additional mesh APs.  I previously used a Google WiFi mesh home broadband and wanted to move to WiFi 6e. To start with it was working great. Connected all my smart devices. Google home speakers, Samsung TV, Hive, Yale and finally TP link KASA.  It was all working fine.

Then I started to notice some devices disconnect from the WiFi and showing offline.  Mainly the TP Link KASA smart bulbs.  So I tried to reset them and re add to the network and the devices couldn't find the network SSID.   I have tried switching the router to compatibility mode and the expectation was that the network would then show. However it only showed the premium network that is not the compatable one. 

Strange, so I checked the network channels it was running in and it was on channel 12. I reset the router and got it to change the WiFi Channel and the network then was visible again to the devices. 

I think the new router channels are above the range for some devices.  Normally on routers you can fix the channel but it seems this is not available in settings, even in expert mode. 

It's now impacting a Google Mini speaker and a Samsung TV. Seems to be getting worse.  So frustrating.  My Samsung 6e compatable devices are working perfectly. 

Anyone found a work around for this? Or is it a case of reverting back to old Google mesh or getting another router? Huge expense to upgrade smart devices or routers.  Not one I am willing to make because a router has limited functionality.

7 REPLIES 7

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there @Danb28 👋 thanks for explaining what's been happening and what you've tried so far. 

I'd recommend speaking to our WiFi Xperts, and they can check what options they have available about selecting a WiFi Channel for you, from our side. 

You can reach them on 191 from and Vodafone phone, 0333 3040 191 from a landline or other network mobile or via live chat here

Please keep the thread updated and let us know how you get on 🙂 

Thanks, they are unfortunately unable to resolve and accepted cancellation.

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear that @Danb28 - I appreciate you getting back to us and letting us know. 

Klanbo78
2: Seeker

I've upgraded recently to the Pro 2 broadband (fibre 900) from the regular broadband (fibre 500) and experiencing the same issues.  I previously had a top of the range Netgear Orbi mesh router with 2 satellites - only upgraded as the price was decent and bundled WiFi 6E router was appealing.

Had a few setup issues as I couldn't see the Super WiFi tile in the app, but customer services sorted after an hour on the phone with them.  Had to order an additional 6E booster to get the necessary coverage but overall was impressed with performance and signal.  Realised my old printer wouldn't connect as it's WPA2 only so had to switch on compatibility mode in the app.  My partner's laptop didn't see the network either so had to update the drivers, which is more of a WIfi 6E problem and not Vodafone.  These are all normal and expected issues.

But then the dropouts started.  Sony TV in the lounge disconnected, had to setup again.  Samsung TV in the bedroom disconnected and refused to reconnect.  Rebooted the system which fixed but then after 2 days, disconnected again.  Google Minis disconnecting, needing a WiFi reset to reconnect, same with the Nest Thermostats.

I can accept the lack of features on the router, but it needs to perform it's primary function.  I've ordered a TP Link Deco mesh system but would like to see if I can get the Vodafone gear working properly.

Any suggestions for a fix?

Klanbo78

Also, the app just got a complete overhaul and looks completely different.  The problems seemed to happen at the same time, not sure if it's related.

Thanks for raising this @Klanbo78, sorry you are facing this trouble. As a Vodafone Broadband Pro customer, we have our team of WiFi Xperts available to assist with any queries or concerns. We'd advise to reach out to the team on 03333040191 or Live Chat here to see if they can help you with these issues. 

<p>Vodafone Pro 2 router keeps disconnecting WiFi devices</p>