Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

FTTC with THG3000 Router - difficult connection to Internet since 02-01-2023

Delta10
4: Newbie

Starting around 6pm on 2nd January I have had significant difficulty getting internet connection i.e. solid white Internet indicator on the router.

Has anyone else started having connection problems?

The first time the connection dropped and did not quickly reconnect. I did get a connection again within an hour.

Subsequently it can take up to 3 hours to get a connection.

Tonight it took about 2 hours to get a connection.

Since joining Vodafone in May I have only had around half speed i.e. 18Mb/s rather than 36Mb/s download and 3Mb/s rather than 7-9Mb/s upload. The router has always connected quickly and very few dropouts.

Last Wednesday I telephoned Vodafone and was told there was work in my area that would be complete by midnight. However my problem continued.

Last Friday from work knowing the router was off I logged into my account and ran a test. This flagged a fault and a reference code. When I returned home I found a card from Openreach to say they had found a network fault and rectified it. I started the router. It did not connect right away with the internet indicator getting as far as flashing white then returning to flashing red. Within 15 minutes a connection had been established. Logging into the router showed now 36Mb/s download and 7.2Mb/s upload speeds plus the Signal-to-noise ratio around 6dB, an improvement from around 9dB.

However the connection problem has continued so seems separate to the line from the cabinet to my house. From the start I suspected this as the line signal-to-noise ratio had not become significantly worse.

The router sequence from power on is

• Power - white indicator
  • Internet - flashing red indicator > solid red indicator > flashing white indicator > flashing red indicator.
  • The latter is on > off > on > off for (at a guess) twice as long.

I do not know if better to just leave the router on or after say 10 minutes turn off for a minute then on again.

Tonight I finally got a connection after restarting the router for the umpteenth time when the sequence was as above but the solid white internet light a couple of minutes after the flashing white indicator changed back to a flashing red indicator.

I have a second THG3000 which I tried directly connected to the incoming test socket with no difference and a Huawei HG633 I have configured for Vodafone VDSL FTTC. ( I will update my thread from May/June with the details )

It is as if either

- Vodafone has lost capacity either at the local street box or the area exchange

- Vodafone have taken on more customers than the street box and/or exchange has capacity for.

I will of course continue chasing Vodafone support but any relevant information will be appreciated.

I have rearranged power so the router can remain on but if the connection drops still the same issue to reconnect and ultimately just masking it.

10 REPLIES 10

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@CrimsonLiar wrote:

So whats the reason for turning the router on and off, if it's energy saving, then routers are hardly thirsty - if any one with a monitoring power meter free wants to check how much power the THG3000 uses!

Put a power meter on mine yesterday, the highest usage it has recorded is 13 watts. most of the time it's between 8 and 10, but it's not exactly busy, there is only me here.