Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gigacube 5g - page cutout & ping

hollow88
4: Newbie

Hi there,

I recently purchased the Gigacube 5g and am currently in my 14 day cooling off period.

We are in an area that has 'limited 5g coverage' (postcode SW11 4AR) however usually maintain speeds of 200mbs-380mbs (peak) and 40 ping.

A couple of questions as I'd be interested to see if there any solutions to this before committing to the contract. 

- At least three time a day, google will not respond and web pages will crash. Other products such as Slack will also put me into offline mode for no reason, even though the wifi is still connected.

- We recently had engineering work on the mast nearby. I was told that 5g was being installed however on the NSC it still says 1 bar of signal, but we're receiving very good down/up speeds. Can you confirm if we are actually running on full 5g signal or are the speeds based on 1 bar as above. If the latter, should we be expecting even faster speeds over time/when will this be introduced?

- Is there anyway to reduce the ping? At one point (router in same position) we were receiving around 10-20ms, 380mbs down/41mbs up.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

hollow88
4: Newbie

I forgot to mention - on Xbox, plugged through an Ethernet direct to the Gigacube router, the ping comes in at 150ms+... however in some games this drops to 70ms. Again, there were times when this ping was back to 16-17ms on the network speed test on Xbox

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @hollow88 I've taken a look into this and can see we currently offer a limited 5g service in your area, this may explain why you're receiving such differing speeds. We're currently rolling out our 5g network in more areas and as or coverage expands, I'm sure your speeds will increase and your connection become more stable.  You can keep up to date with our 5g roll out through the dedicated page on our website

Hi Mark

Thanks for sharing. Do you know why it’s not possible for me to select 4g instead of 5g? Currently the login is set to Auto and it can’t be changed.

Hi Mark,

Do you have any update on the above? I've searched through the forums and can't find a solution to switching off 5g coverage - it's simply set to 'auto' on network searching. 

Also, our speeds have massively dropped over the last 48 hours on the Wifi Connection. 4g is running on my phone at 200mbs and 40 ping but when we connect to Wifi (which I assume is pulling limited 5g coverage instead of full 4g...as above) - we drop to around 30mbs and 20 ping. This has come off massively from the 380mbs peak and 250mbs standard speed we have been receiving.

Any suggestions outside of doing a hard reset, reboot or moving the router (all of which we've done)?