Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gigafast Broadband Netgear x6 R8000

barryhendry123
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello.

I have Gigafast FTTH broadband and am struggling with the setup of my Netgear x6 R8000 router.

Can someone advise me of how to set this up?

Best regards

Barry

3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

You'll need to get your username (format dsl1234567890 @ broadband.vodafone.co.uk) and password from Vodafone.

The connection would be from the WAN port on the router to the ethernet port on the ONT/(G)PON - not using the VF router (so you also cant use a phone).

When you set up your connection on the router it's still a PPPoE connection.

Here's the problem part, or at least it was with the original firmware for your router.  If you cant get a connection at this point then you need to set the VLAN ID tag to 911.  On your router, you will probably have to use the IPTV settings to manage this on the WAN port- At least with the original firmware on your router, this stage was not possible!

Thank you, I shall get in touch the VF tomorrow for the username and password info.

I have searched around and also found the guide on the VLAN tagging via IPTV section of the menu, although it was advising VLAN 10, which I figured must be the DSL VLAN ID?

Many thanks for your reply, will reply with update and tag as best answer when tried.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why Vodafone/City Fibre picked VLAN ID 911 is anyone's guess, but IF ITS NEEDED the only ID that appears to be accepted on the WAN link from the router to the ONT is 911.  

I'll get murdered for the butchery of this explanation, but the VLAN (Virtual LAN) ID is used to identify traffic on a potentially shared connection as being with a LAN group, in this case, that group are Vodafone/CityFibre clients.  In a more local network, you might use it to create "pods" of local clients this way (there are other uses).  The reason we used to have the IPTV settings was for suppliers who supplied IPTV over metered connections so that your TV stream could be identified and didn't use up your metered data (another butchered and oversimplified description)!