Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gigfast and your own Router vlan 911 ?

av13d_c0d3r
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

The new Gigfast well 900mbps offering is available in my area.

The problem i have heard and the reason for this post is..

I have heard that you cannot use an after market router with Gigfast, i have read some have got around this by coniguring vlan 911 ? 

Does anyone have anymore information around this set up, as i have a lab at home and am runing a Mikrotik routerboard with different vlans configured etc that the stock router will not be able to provided me.

Can someone clarify what is meant and the reasons for configuring vlan 911 

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

You'd need to confirm that the needed VLAN ID is 911 by speaking to Gigafast support, as it may be different for local setups!  In order to get it to work, you need to have the VLAN ID expressed over the WAN port, so with many commercial routers, the way to insert this is to fake it using the IPTV settings.  The hardware of microtek routerboards' is certainly capable of this, though how much work you'd need to do is going to depend on your specific set up!

As for why a VLAN is even used on such a setup, it's the same reason you'd set up VLANs on a local network so that the provider can isolate/ring-fence control information within the wider network.

I have successfully connected a Mikrotik hap ac2 router to Gigafast 900.  This procedure should work for any Mikrotik router with RouterOS 44.5 or higher (and maybe lower but not tried).

Apart from the obvious username and password used for connection, as stated above you need to create a VLAN with and ID of 911.  To do this, open a terminal window and enter:

/interface vlan add interface=ether1 name=ether1.911 vlan-id=911

Then go to the PPPoE client and change the assigned interface to ether1.911, apply the settings and hopefully all should be good.  Rather bizarely I also had to unhide passwords before the connection would authenticate.