Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Help PLEASE with setting up with FTTP connection

Cornishrex1
3: Seeker

Please can someone help me. My 87 year father has just moved into a new house which is a 3 hour drive from where I live. We have bought him a Vodafone broadband and phone package as he needs to learn how to use an iPad. But the new house has FTTP and I have never had a house with that set up before. I am trying to talk him through on the phone how to to set it up, and it simply is not working. When we go through the Vodafone trouble shooter, it identifies that we have no internet (or phone therefore, as the phone has to plug into the Vodafone router tel port), but the photos on the trouble shooter do not match up with the BT ONT box we have on the wall. I have a photo of the box from last weekend (i went down to set up the internet and of course Vodafone forgot to post the router and it arrived a week late). The photo is attached. He has plugged the Vodafone router into the far left hand Ethernet port  on the white box`(the one that has the yellow cable going into it in the photo). The BT box on the wall only has the two far left hand lights lit. It doesn’t look like the ONT box photos in the Vodafone trouble shooter. Is this something different? Should we not be plugging the Vodafone router into that port? I just want to speak to someone who can talk us through but all I seem to get is bots. I’ve already had to buy an adapter on Amazon to enable him to plug his phone into the router, but we don’t seem to even be that far down the line yet - we seem to have no internet connection at all.IMG_1719.jpegIMG_1720.jpeg

27 REPLIES 27

Cornishrex1

I’m wondering if that white box is actually a combined router and ONT such that we don’t even need the Vodafone router. But there is no internet light lit up on it and I have no idea how to get it working if that is the case. 

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Unfortunately ir may take a while for your pictures to be moderated.

Some of the early ONT's were a bit complicated with their connections, but the newer one should be fairly obvious.

As you haven't used FTTP before, are you connecting to the correct port on the router. It's the one marked WAN not INTERNET.

Hi, thank you, there isn’t a WAN labelled port/light. there are 14 potential lights across the top of the box and it says Openreach at the top. We have plugged the Ethernet cable from the Vodafone router into LAN1 port on the openreach box. The other possible ports include LAN 1 - 4, and two TEL ports. There is a light labelled internet along the top of the box  (it is not lit up). I assume there is an Ethernet port below that light - should we try plugging the Vodafone router into that? But surely if that internet port light is not lit, then there is no internet going to it?

Cornishrex1

Sorry, just seen you said don’t plug it into internet port. So, we didn’t, we plugged it into LAN port.

Jayach

@Cornishrex1 wrote:

Sorry, just seen you said don’t plug it into internet port. So, we didn’t, we plugged it into LAN port.

Hope you mean the WAN not LAN port.

Jayach

Sounds like you have the ECI C-Series ONT, does this help to identify the correct port.

What do the lights on the Openreach modem mean? | BT Help

Cornishrex1

Hi thank you. You are right. We have the ECI C Series modem. And there is no port on it that is labelled WAN. We plugged the Ethernet cable into the LAN port. The page you linked me into did help identify the type of modem we have, but it doesn’t tell me which port to plug the Vodafone router into, if LAN is not correct. And the Vodafone bot trouble shooter is showing a completely different kind of ONT when trying to walk us through the trouble shooting. Do you know if there is a real human at Vodafone that we can talk to in order to work through this. I simply don’t know which port of the ONT to plug the router into……

Jayach

@Cornishrex1 wrote:

Hi thank you. You are right. We have the ECI C Series modem. And there is no port on it that is labelled WAN. We plugged the Ethernet cable into the LAN port. 

Sorry, when I said make sure you are connected to the WAN port, not INTERNET, I meant at the Vodafone router end. It's was just as you said you weren't used to FTTP I thought you may have not have known the correct port and cable to use.

As I said previously if an Ethernet cable is connected to one of the LAN ports on the ONT, it's equivalent LED should light up as long as the cable is connected to a working Ethernet port at the other end.

Also if it doesn't work in LAN1, I would just try the other LAN ports "just in case"

Sorry just seen this message which crossed with mine. We are switching the cable to plug into to WAN port on the Vodafone router now to see if that solves the problem. Thank you