Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Help PLEASE with setting up with FTTP connection

Cornishrex1
3: Seeker

Please can someone help me. My 87 year father has just moved into a new house which is a 3 hour drive from where I live. We have bought him a Vodafone broadband and phone package as he needs to learn how to use an iPad. But the new house has FTTP and I have never had a house with that set up before. I am trying to talk him through on the phone how to to set it up, and it simply is not working. When we go through the Vodafone trouble shooter, it identifies that we have no internet (or phone therefore, as the phone has to plug into the Vodafone router tel port), but the photos on the trouble shooter do not match up with the BT ONT box we have on the wall. I have a photo of the box from last weekend (i went down to set up the internet and of course Vodafone forgot to post the router and it arrived a week late). The photo is attached. He has plugged the Vodafone router into the far left hand Ethernet port  on the white box`(the one that has the yellow cable going into it in the photo). The BT box on the wall only has the two far left hand lights lit. It doesn’t look like the ONT box photos in the Vodafone trouble shooter. Is this something different? Should we not be plugging the Vodafone router into that port? I just want to speak to someone who can talk us through but all I seem to get is bots. I’ve already had to buy an adapter on Amazon to enable him to plug his phone into the router, but we don’t seem to even be that far down the line yet - we seem to have no internet connection at all.IMG_1719.jpegIMG_1720.jpeg

27 REPLIES 27

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@Cornishrex1 

I did think of suggesting you contact Vodafone and asking if they could send an Openreach engineer (who may have replaced the ONT with a current one) but experiences of other posters on here who have tried to get Vodafone to engage Openreach for anything other than an actual (believed) fault persuaded me it would probably be a wasted effort.

Jayach

@Ripshod wrote:
We're ripping them out these days for everyone but BT users and fitting the new ONT's. It's right that they are a combined ONT/Router and I'm sure it's incompatible with vodafone's service. Also the telephone sockets means sip\voip traffic will be filtered so no way to use Vodafone's digital voice.

What service have you actually ordered for that address, is it fttc or fttp. If it's fttc then that old ONT would naturally be left in place as it's not used. We still install on copper for some vulnerable or older clients so the phone service is kept live for as long as possible. 

As you are actually doing the job, I don't like to disagree (but it's never stopped me in the past 🤣)

But, Vodafone will not use the TEL ports on the ONT they will use the ones on the router. We have had posts on here where people have moved from BT to Vodafone, and couldn't understand why their phone connected to the ONT no longer worked. From memory the Vodafone service in that case was delivered on LAN2

I'm sure @Cornishrex1 will let us know if I'm wrong.

Also, even if requested, I don't think Vodafone would use FTTC if FTTP was available at the address.

clint_flick
12: Established

Hi

Maybe start from an earlier point ...

VODAFONE FIBRE 2 is over copper wire(s) installed in the early 1970's by British Telecom here.

65.4 Mbps  download speed guarantee

72.6 - 73.5 Mbps download    ---    17.5 - 18.3 Mbps upload

SO perhaps you have a similar package and you need to use the TELEPHONE socket, not that white box.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

may help, but then again may not.

So I have a BT/Openreach socket on the wall, plug in the cable from the kit, and plug into power.

Jayach

@clint_flick wrote:
VODAFONE FIBRE 2 is over copper wire(s) installed in the early 1970's by British Telecom here.

Sorry @clint_flick but @Cornishrex1 is on Full Fibre 2.

@Cornishrex1 wrote:

We put our address into the Vodafone search box and it told us what it would offer, which is “Full fibre 2”. 

Hi

Sorry @clint_flick but @Cornishrex1 is on Full Fibre 2.

Good point.

Unfortunately asking Vodafone whether it is Fibre or FULL Fibre will get you nowhere ..................

""If you’re already a Vodafone Broadband customer and have a FTTP connection, your plan name will include the words ‘full fibre’, for example, ‘Full Fibre 500’. If you have a FTTC connection, you will have a Fibre 1 or Fibre 2 plan. ""

So if you didn't have an existing Vodafone customer contract, then perhaps the wall socket and splitter in the picture indicate it aint FULL fibre.

But what do I know?

clint_flick

Hi

One of these?

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/getting-started/broadband#gsbbsetup

Let’s connect your WiFi Hub

clint_flick_0-1695908475835.png
clint_flick_1-1695908522172.png

You should have received an internet cable and microfilter with your WiFi Hub.

Plug the internet cable into the red internet port on the back of your WiFi Hub. Plug the other end of the cable firmly into the microfilter and then plug the microfilter into the phone socket on the wall.

clint_flick_2-1695908548339.png

Now plug the supplied power cable into your WiFi Hub and plug the other end into the mains power socket.

Switch the power on at the wall socket and switch your WiFi Hub on by pressing the on/off button at the back.

If in doubt please ask.

Cornishrex1

Thanks everyone, I drove down last night and got it working.  Jayach was right, my father was plugging the cable into the wrong holes and I think trying to plug in the Ethernet cable the wrong way around which is why he insisted that it would not fit in the hole. So I plugged in exactly as Jayach recommended, with a normal phone plugged into the tel port on the back of the Vodafone router, which is itself plugged into the open reach box. And I had to order a phone adaptor in order to enable us to plug the phone into the Vodafone router because Vodafone didn’t supply one - I had figured out that much from other posts and I had ordered the adaptor that others recommended on this forum. 

if all old people are going to be forced onto internet phones from 2025, there will be chaos…. 

thank you for your help. I was worried that there was something more going wrong and that my 6 hour round trip would have been wasted with still no working phone …..

Jayach

Thanks for the update @Cornishrex1 .

It's also good to have it confirmed that the phone connection was from the router and not the sockets on the ONT.

@Cornishrex1 wrote:
if all old people are going to be forced onto internet phones from 2025, there will be chaos…. 

It's not just old people, the change is for everyone, but yes older people (I'm 73 myself) will find it more difficult to adapt.

The various problems around switching off the PSTN are well know, and solutions are being put in place to try to mitigate them, but for such old technology it was surprisingly robust.