Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

High Upload Latency?

DJMitch117
3: Seeker

Hello all,

As shown below, I have high upload latency. It is anywhere between 200-500ms on average:

Capture.JPG

Since moving into my current property, and then being set up with my Vodafone service (OR engineer had to get me connected), I've had some issues. My download speed didn't meet my minimum guaranteed speed, so they sent another OR engineer over to have a look. He didn't spot any issues, but somehow after his visit my download speed is now above the min guaranteed. Odd.

I've suspected that my download speed/connection was dodgy when I was receiving inconsistent download speed results when running tests whilst troubleshooting the aforementioned issue.

Then recently, my friend said he was having a hard time streaming a video from my new NextCloud server. That same night I was kicked from a video game server for having too high of a ping. I thought my Nextcloud server was the issue. So I disconnected every device from my router, reset my router, reconnected my line via the web interface, ran several tests, and came to the conclusion that my upload latency is unreasonably high. I think it might be tanking when under load.

I've been talking to support over the phone, but as predicted, they have been little help. They have "done stuff on their end" (checked the connection etc.) and they have reset my router settings, updated it's software etc. but nothing has made a difference. They are sending me a micro-filter so I can connect my router to my master socket's test port to see if that will help, but I have doubts as I have tried this step before when I had my download speed issue and it made no difference (I think I gave my only micro-filter to the OR engineer, whoops).

The chap said on the phone that if the micro-filter makes no difference, they won't escalate my issue as it isn't speed related. It's annoying how there is no latency guarantee, as speed and latency go hand in hand in terms of a good internet connection. I will try my best to prevent them from closing my complaint prematurely as I don't think this is acceptable!

Anyway, can anyone here provide some help? Further troubleshooting steps or advice? Shown below is my line quality:

DJMitch117_0-1682609782157.png

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Your upload latency is normally only that high when you saturate the connection, such as when you perform a speed test. Under normal loads - including gaming - that upload latency is MUCH lower.  So for comparison, using the Vodafone Manchester Speedtest server (the server you pick will make a difference) my upload latency is around 260ms. but an unloaded latency test to the Cloudflare DNS also in Manchester will return a latency figure of just under 9ms.  If you are maxing out the upload in gaming, then you'd probably benefit from using the routers' QoS (Quality of Service) settings.  QoS throttles back the quantity of data but allows an almost saturated connection to work with much lower latency - again, here using QoS equivalent to that on the VF router it would give me about 17ms, while a couple of advanced QoS modes on my particular router return 13ms.  The price being around 10% reduction in the amount of data per second.

As for the difference between upload and download signal strengths, that's just a function of the amount of power our piddly little consumer modems can push into the phone line compared to the industrial-grade equipment used by the OpenReach cabinet you connect to.  And for the record, it looks as if the mbps figures in your image are as high as OpenReach VDSL2 connections go!

View solution in original position

11 REPLIES 11

DJMitch117

To add, I've been given a static IP, which has not helped.

I've also seen that my upstream power is significantly lower than my downstream power. Is this normal? Could this be the issue?

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@DJMitch117 wrote:

I've also seen that my upstream power is significantly lower than my downstream power. Is this normal? Could this be the issue?

i assume it's normal mine is the same, 

Jayach_0-1682356163728.png

Is what you are seeing not simply because on FTTC the upload speed is so much less that the download?

CrimsonLiar

I believe TrueNas OS does use VMs/Containers for its apps!  When the speed of your connection is the maximum OpenReach spec (80/20) on a VDSL2 connection, then increasing the SNR (Signal/Noise Ratio) is not going to decrease latency or increase the speed.  I am surprised there is no option to enable QoS on the THG3000, as I'm sure it was there on the older HHG2500!

Jayach

@DJMitch117 wrote:

I hadn't seen your DSL stats previously. (probably they weren't moderated when I first saw the thread)

But is a -ve power even possible?

But as the actual stats are very good, it is probably nothing to worry about.

DJMitch117

Bump! Can anyone help?

Your upload latency is normally only that high when you saturate the connection, such as when you perform a speed test. Under normal loads - including gaming - that upload latency is MUCH lower.  So for comparison, using the Vodafone Manchester Speedtest server (the server you pick will make a difference) my upload latency is around 260ms. but an unloaded latency test to the Cloudflare DNS also in Manchester will return a latency figure of just under 9ms.  If you are maxing out the upload in gaming, then you'd probably benefit from using the routers' QoS (Quality of Service) settings.  QoS throttles back the quantity of data but allows an almost saturated connection to work with much lower latency - again, here using QoS equivalent to that on the VF router it would give me about 17ms, while a couple of advanced QoS modes on my particular router return 13ms.  The price being around 10% reduction in the amount of data per second.

As for the difference between upload and download signal strengths, that's just a function of the amount of power our piddly little consumer modems can push into the phone line compared to the industrial-grade equipment used by the OpenReach cabinet you connect to.  And for the record, it looks as if the mbps figures in your image are as high as OpenReach VDSL2 connections go!

Jayach

@CrimsonLiar wrote:

Your upload latency is normally only that high when you saturate the connection, such as when you perform a speed test.

Or run a torrent client.

I've no idea what a NextCloud server is.

Cynric

@DJMitch117  Have you got an on-prem NextCloud server, either directly installed or in a VM? 

Have you checked on their GitHub for issues?

Is there anything in nextcloud.log?

Have you tried running NextCloud from the command line, so that the log is shown to screen, and then monitoring?

Hi,

Yes, I self host the server (in a TrueNAS jail). Although, when it is shutdown (as well disconnecting all ethernet connected devices from my router) my latency is still high underload. It just seems my upload connection is easily saturated.

I'll see what I can do anyway in terms of configuring NextCloud for video streaming (just short clips).

Thanks