cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How can I order as second connection at current address?

Chribley
2: Seeker

I have a full fibre broadband connection at my current address, but I live in an annex a long way from the router. Despite having a second router to boost the signal, my download speed is just under 10 MBPS, so I need to install another connection in the annex.. The online system seems not to cater for this. Do I have to phone them (I'd prefer to avoid this as it will take ages!) or is there some other way to get round this?

8 REPLIES 8

Jayach
16: Advanced member

If you're living in it, presumably the annex has power. Is it provided from the same consumer unit as the main house?

If so you may find you could use power line adapters to get the broadband out to it, and just have a Wi-Fi access point out there.

I've got a cat6 cable with a wifi router/range extender but it's still way too slow.

Cynric

@Chribley How far is the annex from the main router? Cat6 cable has a of only 55 metres, so switch to Cat5 which has a range of 100 metres. Cat5 should be able to carry up to 2.5Gbps.

Ripshod

CAT6 will do 1Gbps over 100 metres, even unshielded - so long as it's not the cheap stuff from amazon. The 55metre limit is for 10GBASE-T (10Gbit).

Jayach

As @Cynric asks, just how far is this annex? There should be no loss over Ethernet cable, within reason.

About 35 metres.

Jayach

@Chribley wrote:

About 35 metres.

Should be fine then, I would expect full speed with no problem over that distance, on anything from CAT5e onwards. (Assuming your broadband is no more then 1 GHz)

Chribley

Thanks for the helpful replies. I talked to the electrician who installed the cable. He agrees it's too low, doesn't think it's loss due to the cable but that it could be a faulty connection somewhere. He's going to redo them all next week.