Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Huawei HG633 router on Vodafone VDSL FTTC

Delta10
4: Newbie

When I joined Vodafone I obtained my FTTC connection details. These are an account name in the form dsl(numbers)@broadband.vodafone.co.uk and a password. This is best done using chat not voice so they can be copied or at least the screen captured but of course not possible if no internet connection.

When the HG633 is reset ( pin in hole for over 10 seconds ) it defaults to ADSL with VDSL not selectable. Just plug into the VDSL line and it will change to VDSL. Now it can be configured for Vodafone. Below are captures of the settings that work for me. I have of course blanked my account name. The same may work for other Huawei routers. Mine was left over from Talktalk. A spare router is useful to determine if a fault is a line or router issue.

HG633_1_e.png

HG633_2_e.png

2 REPLIES 2

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Definitely a change in how the HG633 used to work.  At release, you could change the username and password by putting it into ADSL mode, and then with the details switch it back to auto and it would work.  It kinda seems like they decided that as it was jailbreak-able, let's just make it a little bit of a pain.  That said, it's not unpopular with those that have them!

This HG633 was issued by Talktalk so custom firmware rather than Huawei generic. One issued by another ISP could be different again. It was last set as just a secondary hub with LAN connetion to another router and DCHP turned off hence why I first did a full reset. Had it last been used VDSL and not reset then perhaps just account and password would have needed to be changed.

I only connected to it via ethernet cable not wi-fi. The BT wholesale speed test gave just over 30Mbps rather than 36Mpbs with the VF THG3000.

The key point is this is how I made it work and it proved my fault was not related to the THG3000.