Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

IP configuration failure

Rackers
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I am very close to the end of my 18 month contract. 

Repeatedly and with no warning, but at least once a day, all the devices on my home network disconnect from the internet and are unable to reconnect unless I perform a factory reset of the router. Vodafone have failed to resolve. Any ideas?

The reason that devices fail to connect, is given (by devices smart enough to give a reason) as up configuration failure. 

I have a by whole home WiFi  with the maximum 6 discs.

This affects every device in the house although they do not all disconnect at the same time. 

I have tried factory reset of the whole home discs. I have also tried buying a brand new pair to replace the main disc connected to the router. 

I have a lot of devices connected. Last count, about 65.

I was given some smart light switches for Christmas. I got cracking and replaced every light switch in my house. 

I already have a lot of devices compared to most households as there are 7 people here and three of us work from home.. two are gamers and we like to have stuff. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is from memory, but hopefully, it'll point you in the right direction.  At least some versions of the BT smart disks, and a few other mesh systems, rely on/repurpose the multicast protocols.  It seems like the some VF modem/routers only partially or maybe just not properly implemented those multicast protocols.  One result being that device leases are not reliably renewed - should be viewable from the log on the router.

Solution:  Other than not using the VF router, I don't think anyone came up with a solution.

*While mesh systems are more efficient than basic WiFi repeaters, using more than you need can still cause your network to slow down.  Unless you are living in a multi-story solid granite constructed large townhouse, six disks might seem excessive!  With 65 devices on the network, I'd probably be looking at not using the VF modem/router.

View solution in original position

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is from memory, but hopefully, it'll point you in the right direction.  At least some versions of the BT smart disks, and a few other mesh systems, rely on/repurpose the multicast protocols.  It seems like the some VF modem/routers only partially or maybe just not properly implemented those multicast protocols.  One result being that device leases are not reliably renewed - should be viewable from the log on the router.

Solution:  Other than not using the VF router, I don't think anyone came up with a solution.

*While mesh systems are more efficient than basic WiFi repeaters, using more than you need can still cause your network to slow down.  Unless you are living in a multi-story solid granite constructed large townhouse, six disks might seem excessive!  With 65 devices on the network, I'd probably be looking at not using the VF modem/router.

Thank you - that is a great reply.

VF support this morning effectively suggested that anything over 15 devices is probably best handled with a third party router and they have sent me the username and password I need to configure them. 

I am on amazon (other global conglomerates are available) trying to choose what to get... happy to hear suggestions from others - going snow blind with stats and review ratings right now... 

Oh and... just to say, three-storey townhouse, solid stone from 1856 with a separate annexe in a metal-framed building - still have some weak signal spots but tried to add a 7th disc last week only to discover the 6 disc limit... now juggling positioning to reduce overlap and try to get as close to full coverage as possible.... 

clint_flick
12: Established
12: Established

Hi

In addition to Keith's excellent answer, I offer.......

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 10 February 2021 09:07:06
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 19 March 2157 15:59:41

I choose a  long lease time.