cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Imminent gigafast install, eero pros to be returned - no PPPoE. Replacement Options?

Greatoldone
4: Newbie

[edit title to reflect new situation]

Hi,

My cityfibre / gigafast Vodafone is being provisioned next Wednesday. I currently have virgin cable, the provided router set as a modem and an eero pro mesh system is doing the routing and Wi-Fi. I also have a wired lan running via gigabit network switch.

I’ve ended up posting as I frequently see the Vigor 130 crop up in threads related to removing the Vodafone supplied router, as it can’t be switched into a “modem only” state for use with existing routers in users installations. I’m one of them, as I’d like to continue to use my eeros, as they’re working well (and cost a fair amount that can’t be recouped as the return window has closed).

What I can’t seem to find is wether the 130 will cope with the gigafast speeds. If it does, fine and dandy... I’ll get one and use that to act as my PPPoE widow to the world. If not, what are my options? I really only need something to sit between the Vodafone ONT and the master eero, to provide the PPPoE credentials and pass the data through (I believe).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Vigor 130 that you mention is an xDSL modem and can be used by customers on Superfast 1&2 who want to use their own equipment.  It cannot be used between a router and a GigaFast ONT/GPON as that connection is made over 1000Mbps ethernet!

You'd probably not only need a device that can handle the PPPoE connection but also has the ability to express the VLAN tags (sometimes managed using IPTV settings).

In reality, you'll probably either have to put your Eeros into bridge mode and use the VF router to manage the network or double NAT which can often cause problems!

Do not treat this as a definitive answer, I'd really like to be proven wrong here!

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Vigor 130 that you mention is an xDSL modem and can be used by customers on Superfast 1&2 who want to use their own equipment.  It cannot be used between a router and a GigaFast ONT/GPON as that connection is made over 1000Mbps ethernet!

You'd probably not only need a device that can handle the PPPoE connection but also has the ability to express the VLAN tags (sometimes managed using IPTV settings).

In reality, you'll probably either have to put your Eeros into bridge mode and use the VF router to manage the network or double NAT which can often cause problems!

Do not treat this as a definitive answer, I'd really like to be proven wrong here!

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. 

id rather not put the eeros in bridge... I’d loose some functionality by doing that. More googling suggest that by turning off all the Wi-Fi and dhcp functions on the VF router and then adding the eeros to the VF dmz may work. Has anyone done this? I’d want the eeros to continue being the dhcp manager - I’m assuming that both routers would need to be on the same subnet.

So, this has all become a moot point as I’ve managed to get Amazon to agree a return on the eeros - even outside the return window. 🤓

so the question now is - what mesh Wi-Fi should I purchase that *is* pppoe ready and will work with VF gigafast?

I’ve  ruled out google nest - very slow last time I tried it. It’s the reason I ended up with the eeros. ASUS seems to get good reviews, but the last time I has any ASUS network gear was back in my 512k adsl days. Linksys or netgear seem to be the other obvs options. Any recommendations?

Most routers are pppoe capable, a bigger concern is if the firewall/NAT throughput is up to the job especially if you are going for the 900 service (if its the 200 or 500 lower tiers then not so much of a problem).

Also you will need to obtain your login credentials for the pppoe setup (from Vodafone) and use Vlan tag 911.

And as I found be patient when setting up, I found it can take a few mins to connect on first setup. 

You dont need any 'modem' a normal cable router is required as it plugs straight into the Gigafast ONT installed on the day.

by continuing to use the VF router are you not sacrificing any QoS features of the 3rd party router?