Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Internet dropping out when speed increases

vjg
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Good evening 

I'm looking for advice about internet drop outs. I am on Superfast broadband 2 and seem to be stuck in a cycle of poor service. As soon as our speed reaches above 50mbs, we start to experience regular drop outs. Once the speed drops to below our guaranteed speed (typically 25 mbs), the line stabilises.

I have repeatedly raised this with customer services and everytime repeat the same process of testing the line for 72 hours to no benefit. An Openreach engineer has been out earlier this year and the line was 'reset'. Drop outs stopped for a few weeks and then the cycle started  again.

Speed went up to 66 this week and drop outs have started again but are lasting for increasingly longer periods of time.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

Jayach
16: Advanced member

What you are describing is quite atypical of broadband faults.

To be able to make any suggestions we need to understand what you mean.

By dropouts do you mean the router reboots itself or do you mean it just becomes unresponsive for awhile?

By speed are you referring to sync speeds or download speeds?

Once we are able to ascertain what is going on we may be able to help.

Thanks for the response. Issues happen when sync speed increases. 

When we lose connection  the router lights flash. Internet light goes off then flashes red before returning to green. This can be momentary but every few minutes. However, last night, when I checked the router the power light was flashing and the top lights were off. I had to power the router off to get it to start working again. This happened continually all evening.

Jayach

@vjg wrote:

However, last night, when I checked the router the power light was flashing and the top lights were off.

That sounds like you have the older HHG2500 router. It may well be a router fault or a line fault.

Either way you are going to have to get back onto Vodafone as there is obviously a fault.

See if you can get them to send you the newer router (THG3000) as that will eliminate the router and if you still have problems we can move onto line faults, although that will need Openreach to be called out.

Are you still in contract?

Good luck, I don't envy you having to deal with Vodafone support.

Yes, it is the older router.

We are just out of contract. I will get back on to customer service. Thank you for your help.

Jayach

@vjg wrote:

Yes, it is the older router.

We are just out of contract. I will get back on to customer service. Thank you for your help.

The current prices are £19.50 and £21.50 for Superfast 1 & 2 respectively, so possibly a good time to take out a new contract., and it should come with the new router.

You'll probably still need to get the line fault sorted out.

Have you tried with the router in the test socket, to eliminate the possibility of problems with your home wiring? (assuming you have any)

Jayach

@vjg wrote:

Thanks for the response. Issues happen when sync speed increases. 

When we lose connection  the router lights flash. Internet light goes off then flashes red before returning to green.

It is probably the SNR dropping to 0 that is causing the reboot and that is more likely when the sync speed is high.

That makes it sound like a line fault, I had basically the same problem when I joined and it took 3 months and at least 2 Openreach call outs before it was fixed.

Handy to know- thank you for the information.