Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Logging in online without a mobile number

BigMoo
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,

I'm looking to move my mobile number away from Vodafone, but I've still got broad band with Vodafone. If I move my mobile number to another provider, how can I login to my online account?

Currently when I login, it prompts me to pick a number to send a verifcation code, but if I've ported my number across, I won't have a registered mobile number on the account. 

Thanks in advance

8 REPLIES 8

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

Seems you have your mobile number as your contact number on your account. Even if you port your number to another network this number will stay registered on your account, and they'll still send those codes to that mobile number. 

Are you sure?

I manage mobile contracts for my family, I've ported 2 numbers to another provider and the two ported numbers have disappeared, there's no SMS authentication option for them anymore. I'd  like to double-check a port won't lock me out of my online account when I move the last mobile to another provider.

Jayach

@BigMoo wrote:

Are you sure?

I agree with @Ripshod, a mobile number is a mobile number irrespective of the carrier.

You will (presumably) no longer have a mobile account at Vodafone for that number, but it shouldn't affect the verification texts.

I say presumably because I ported my mobile number from PlusNet, but I still have an account there under that number.

Ripshod

To be 100% sure in this (for peace of mind really) you could get a cheap payg sim and register that one in your contact details before the move. Then change it back once completed. 

Jayach

You could also try re-registering one of those you have already moved, and see it it accepts it.

CrimsonLiar

For the longest time my contact number was with Virgin Mobile and it worked just fine.  I've also managed to add my partner's O2 mobile as a contact number.  So you should be able to add contact numbers no problem.

*Even the Vodafone Broadband app still works even if you don't use the VF router - functionality is limited but some important functionality is still there!

Jayach

@CrimsonLiar wrote:

*Even the Vodafone Broadband app still works even if you don't use the VF router - functionality is limited but some important functionality is still there!

There is important functionality in the broadband app? It seems pretty useless to me even with the Vodafone router.

CrimsonLiar

You can still use it to perform line tests and set up line monitoring.  It will report (correctly which is surprising) basic router details too.