Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Master socket troubleshooting

LincolnVoda
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi everyone,

I've got a slight hardware problem, any helpful suggestions will be very gratefully appreciated.

I have a THG3000 Vodafone wifi hub, I'm on the Superfast 2 18 month plan which began February.

The master socket in the property that has been present since I moved in is quite beaten up so I purchased an Openreach Master Socket 5C with the Openreach Mk4 front fascia.

Following the instructions on the 'My Mate Vince' Youtube channel (playlist below, I can't recall exactly which video it was), I carefully swapped the old master socket for the new one however was dismayed to find that the internet light on the hub did not turn on to indicate a successful connection and attempts to connect failed.

Where am I going wrong?

Some info:

The cable coming into the house from outside is the older stiff kind (I forget the name) with three stiff wires that are only for cable strength, a pair of wires coloured black and green which I found wrapped up inside the backbox and which do not connect to anything, and a pair of wires coloured white and orange that terminated to the back of the original master socket. My understanding is that normally the white wire goes to the 'A' and the orange wire goes to the 'B' however that if discovered to be the other way around when re-connecting these cables to the 'A' and 'B' of the new master socket they should be fitted the same. Hence, when I fitted the white and orange to the new 5c, I connected the orange to 'A' and the white to 'B.' Note that I was careful to do this correctly i.e. cutting back the wires and feeding each through both holes of their respective termination point and then securely flipping the tab down so that the inbuilt metal connection points then cut through the insulating sheath to make a secure connection. I then fitted the mk4 fascia and correctly fitted the telephone and internet cables back to the hub and waited for my connection to resume, however it did not.

I then refitted the 5c with the orange and white coloured wires switched i.e. white to A and orange to B, just to see if it would work but it yielded the same result. I then refitted the old master socket and my connection has been as it was before in the days since.

Assuming that I have correctly connected the orange and white wires, and then the subsequent cables and mk4 fascia (which I did), what then could the problem be that means the new 5c socket doesn't seem to want to work?

Kind regards,

James in Lincoln

P.S. After connecting the new master socket I waited for about 10 minutes before changing it, and then another 10 before refitting the old master socket. I'm assuming that the connection should be instant due to the nature of the wires and how they connect up so I didn't really figure waiting for longer was necessary, surely I was not wrong to assume this?

P.P.S. Please note I followed Vince's instructions in the sense that I connected the white and orange wires to the 5c socket piece and not the mk4 fascia as instructed.

Edit: I forgot to add the link to the YouTube channel/playlist mentioned, here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLexbWs0Wp_H6LvKLZ6n5fyUknvlMag-Su

12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, so the key here that you probably watched the video for installing an NTE5C on a new line!

There's another video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qkx0L3zi6Y that might help more with older sockets!

If that doesn't help then you could post some photos so we can see what you have!

*Really want to make as neat a job as possible in case you ever need to call an engineer!

Edit: Photo upload didn't work from my mobile phone.
Edit 2: Figured out how to insert into post.
Edit 3: After multiple attempts I don't know why the images inserted within the post are not showing correctly (sort it out vodafone!) I have attached them so they can still be viewed (as can the two I attached in my first post) by clicking on the 'view more options' link under the post.

Thanks for your speedy reply Keith, I'm not sure of the exact model no. but I'm fairly confident my existing master socket isn't as old as the ones referred to at the start of the video you linked to as it has the removable front fascia and test socket. Pictures attached 👍New mk4 and 5cNew mk4 and 5c

Back of new mk4Back of new mk4

Old master setupOld master setup

Old master setup BOld master setup B

Hi

Essentially a pair of wires are needed, older types are polarity conscious (it matters which war round they are) newer ones apparently are not.

OR BT n5 socket.png

Thanks clint_flick, however that's confused me somewhat as my understanding (Vince was pretty adamant) is that my orange and white wires coming from the outside line are to go to the A and B cam lock connector on the rear of the Master Socket 5C and that the A and B set on the mk4 is to remain empty, as is the 5,3,2 cam lock set on the front of the 5c. 🤔

Hi

MINE IS DIFFERENT, THEREFORE YOU MAY BE CORRECT.

The words are 

whatever you have connected currently are the pair you use,   colour / banding is immaterial.

At what point did you know the new socket worked and it was your wiring?

If it is a faulty socket then nothing you do will matter. Cannot see your pictures.

All I know is that I have a single faceplate socket I swapped out with a GPO early 1970's one.

Given to me by OpenReach engineer, before LockDown and Shielding commenced.

So I put the incoming pair into A & B and that is it.  my 2, 3 and 5 are currently empty.

Pushed the filter into the front, Phone and Modem into the filter and voila.

The Openreach engineer did not need to come into the house to check anything and I had my Virgin Media cut off 2 weeks later.

No worries, I reckon it might be the faceplate as Vodafone support got me to hook up the internet cable to the test socket in the 5c via a DSL filter and I have a working connection. They said they are going to run a test until Monday and call me back. 

For those reading this thread who might be in a similar position and who want the Vodaphone support number (and who aren't mobile phone customers) - the number is annoyingly a pain in the ##~## to find so here it is to save you time: 0333 304 0191

Hi

17070  is a test feature.

Dial 17070 and option 1 is RINGBACK.

Dial 17070 and option 2 is QUIET LINE.

Dial 17070 and option 3 is FAST TEST.

Dial 17070 and option 4 is CLEANSE.

2 is for a "NOISE" test the line should apparently be silent, if not tell the ISP.

https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Performing-a-Quiet-Line-Test

Anonymous
Not applicable

Now the photos have gone up.  It should have been as easy as putting the wires from A & B on the old master into the new master.  But with it not working with the filtered faceplate but the test socket working, it does look as though you got a bad faceplate - there was a bad batch of these about a year ago, and there are even a few fakes around on auction sites, but yours from the front looks genuine!

When it is all up and running, you'll need to tidy up the excess wires, else if you have a problem in the future and an Openreach tech on-site can tell you've been fiddling you'll get a charge!  Oh and make sure whatever you use to trim the wires has insulated handles as those wires can carry 50V!

I bought both the faceplate and the master socket directly from Amazon UK so I'll try another vendor this time and see if I can order something specified as 2020 made. Thanks for the other tips too, top man. 😎

Edit: Tried eBay this time: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-BT-Openreach-master-main-socket-MK4-2020-Version-vDSL-BT-Infinity...