Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

No internet connection on several devices following the 11th March UK outage

cjj5678
2: Seeker

Everything died last Monday and I gather that was a wholesale outage by Vodafone Broadband.  I have changed nothing, apart from cycling the router.  The router was back up 24 hours later with all lights up correctly but I've had to go around virtually all of my devices and forget the network & re-enter the WiFi key.

But several devices:  my several firesticks, Samsung smart TV and Honeywell security camera refuse to re-connect.  The TV and Firesticks show successful WiFi connection but no internet.  I've tried a wired connection from the TV to the router but to no avail, still shows connected but no internet.

I've done a fair bit of googling and firestick issues appear common over the years but I can't nail down a particular solution & surely I can't be the only one affected post the outage.  The firestick's work hot-spotting of my mobile 4G connection so it's not the Amazon end.

Any thoughts before I start fiddling with Router settings which I'm not confident about! 

3 REPLIES 3

Cynric
16: Advanced member

@cjj5678  First idea would be to search the forum because this has been asked before.

cjj5678

Many thanks - you can't win can you!  I searched the forum posts and couldn't find a solution to this specific post-outage problem and seeing as in the other posts people asking new questions/making further comments in old posts were admonished too by you elder forumites I dared to create a new post!  Soz!

Anyhow in case it's of use to anyone else out there I think I'm sorted now.

This issue was specifically related to issues following the March 11th 2024 UK outage.  If anyone else has connectivity issues with some, but not all of their devices after that incident, then I resolved it by:

Braving the Vodafone tech support webchat - I wasn't hopeful and had to go round the cycle of protracted Q&A about what router lights are on, is your WAN cable in the correct port etc etc but eventually I got to this:

"I can see there is no issue on your line and your services are working fine, so in that case, what can I do best for you I will clear the cache of your router so after that your router will be connected to fresh network and after that your devices will be connected perfectly. "

This allowed me (after forgetting the network and re-entering the WPA2 PSK key for each firestick etc) to re-connect and normal service was resumed! 

Cynric

@cjj5678 I am sorry if my first answer was initially unhelpful, but there has recently been a spate of bogus posts by people playing with A.I. generated stuff and also some that really have been asked so many times you wouldn't believe it. I am quite surprised you found someone who actually hit a solution so quickly, that too is a bit of a lottery with the helpdesk at times.