Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Remote desktop to external computer

JappieV
2: Seeker

I cannot seem to connect to a remote server via remote desktop, which uses port 3389. I know the connection details are correct, as it works from my office, but not at home with Vodafone broadband. Is this port blocked? I checked everything in the router, and there is nothing that seems to blocking this traffic.

7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

In most cases, you'll need to set up port forwarding on the VF router.  It's not that the port is blocked, just that when you use RDP there is no data in the stream that identifies the client within your own network.  As a result, rather than broadcast it, the modem will (quite sensibly) reject it!

*I'm still not saying, this is going to work as I there is much within the VF router that is very poorly implemented!

I thought port forwarding was only necessary for incoming connections, to send the port to the right PC behind the router. My problem is doing an outgoing rdp connection. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a two-way connection, so your outgoing data should be fine if the destination IP is for the specific device you want to connect to.  The incoming data though - on the same port - will still be blocked *in most cases* as it will have the routers IP address and a port but nothing to identify the device within your network.  The port forwarding can sometimes be automated via a routers UPnP if you choose to have that enabled, or handled automatically in a different manner *sometimes* if your connection is bridged.  Port forwarding is usually going to be the most reliable method though!

I have the same problem. Connection via RDP on a VPN works frommy office, but not at home on the Vodafone router. Have tried port forwarding, ststic local IP address but still no luck.

Cynric
16: Advanced member

Assuming this is on Windows, what profile is your network; pubic, private or home?

CrimsonLiar

While I genuinely believe the benefits of VPN are often overblown this really is one of those situations where I wouldn't be remoting in, if I couldn't run my own VPN!

Jools10

Did you get the Remote Desk Top working - Mine was working on monday 13/05 and Tuesday it stopped