Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Hub causing problems with computers and landline not working

roryrocker13
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have major issues with my hub (router) causing issues with windows crashing on my 3 main desktop PCs. My telephone (internet phone through TEL port) has worked so little, that we dont even bother plugging it in now.

My setup is as follows

I have the hub on the ground floor of my house, it has wifi dissabled and RJ45 runs to an AP (so I get wifi 6 capabilities) and another RJ45 going to a desktop on the ground floor. RJ45 then runs from the hub to a switch on the first floor and into two desktops from that switch, aswell as another AP on that switch. All other devices are connected fairly evenly between my APs on WiFi.

on all 3 PCs at some point (including the one plugged into the vodaphone provided hub) I have had an issue where windows explorer (win 10) (the service itself) which controls the desktop just refuses to boot, it crashes, you absolutely cannot access your desktop. I spent days trying to figure out what was wrong the first time, as it turns out a hub restart fixes this issue, until the next time it decides it doesnt want to work. As a note, when I had this issue the first time, I swapped the desktops around on their respective connections (turned them off at the wall and physically moved them) to rule out usb devices ect. The issue followed the computer not the RJ45, so presumably it follows the mac address, whether or not the mac address is what the hub bases your local IP off, I dont know. Just thought that was interesting.

If I restart the line rather than the hub it fixes file explorer but I get other network related issues and crashes in windows. Its super frustrating. I can assure you it isnt the computers. It is the hub in some form. Also whether or not its because its already up to date, firmware updates always say "failed" on the hub. Other than wifi being dissabled, all settings are default on the hub.

On the phone side of things if I plug in the phone right now (as I've just restarted the hub for the issue again!) it will work, for 2/3 days, then nothing. Obviously we wont notice when exactly the phone goes down as it just stops ringing and people who ring us will get voicemail, but the point is, it just stops working at some point in the few days after a hub restart.

The exact setup worked fine with the last hub I used (TP link archer on plusnet), all thats happened is I have litterally swapped out that hub, all I can think is the vodaphone hub just cant handle the amount of devices I have on (its nothing crazy just phones, desktops and TVs ect), but then my network activity isnt that high only once every week or so I utalise the full 200Mbps on the line and a couple of times a week do large network file transfers between the PCs but these dont seem to be related into when it fails.

Thats all the info I have, if anyone has any ideas please let me know. Im not bothered about buying a new hub, if someone knows a good quality one which allows for higher customisability and has the TEL port on the back that would be great. I would set the TP link archer back up but it doesnt allow for the Voip phones. If anyone knows a workaround for that too that would be a route I would take.

14 REPLIES 14

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

This is the first time I've heard of a vodafone router causing these problems with PCs. Do you have any file shares running on your network.

Of course it's possible to use your Tp-link router. If it's necessary to keep your landline then a relatively cheap ATA would get it up and running.

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Landline/Landline-phone-with-own-router-on-FTTP/m-p/2709457#M1354 

I use the inbuilt windows network shares. So on PC1 goto the file "share --> give everyone read / write permissions"

PC2 "\\pcname\filelocation\" in file explorer you get the idea.

But not a dedicated NAS or anything like that. As I say network usage is pretty low the majority of the time

Cynric

@roryrocker13 

Out of all that equipment which one is serving DHCP and are you running a local DNS provider? Concerning the DCHP what is the lease timeout, what is the ip address range being served and are any devices set as a static address?

The vodafone hub is dealing with DHCP, although I have noticed a few things now you mention that. The expiry time for DHCP is set to forever for local network (24hr for Wifi), it is only network devices that experience this as far as im aware, but tbh my work laptop doesnt see any use at home so hard to say if it happens over wifi.

The only things that should have a static IP are my APs but now that I think about it I cannot think of the static IP for my AP coming off my switch upstairs, I've tried a few combos to connect to it but no luck. The range should exclude the two APs as it starts at 192.168.1.2 (hub being .1, first AP being .2) but im wondering if second AP is also set as .1 instead of .0 it does show up default gateway as 192.168.1.1 on my phone when connected to that AP, I'm not sure if I should be expecting that to be the default gateway for the AP though or the hub.

No local DNS provider, just what is on the hub by default.

Ok, so I still cannot see the default gateway for the AP. When I try and grab it from my work laptop its blank and when I ping the whole network I cannot see it:

169.254.1.22 dynamic -- printer
192.168.1.1 dynamic -- Hub
192.168.1.2 dynamic -- AP1
192.168.1.171 dynamic -- desktop
192.168.1.174 dynamic -- desktop
192.168.1.255 static -- dk what this is, isnt AP

I guess these are just normal behind the scenes stuff? VVV
224.0.0.2 static
224.0.0.22  static
224.0.0.251  static
224.0.0.252  static
239.255.255.250  static
255.255.255.255 static

But it definetly works. I've plugged straight into it but I dont get an IP from a config /all either I get a string of text:

fe80::b8ce:46ff:fed3:6c09%10

Not sure if there is a way to convert that?

Im thinking it could be clashing IPs with an AP and something else. I have shortened the range so its now starting at .5 but I cannot find the local IP of my AP anywhere to make sure its out of range!

Ripshod

APs don't have an IP, they're just an extension of the main router.

fe80::b8ce:46ff:fed3:6c09%10 is an Ipv6 address on the local intranet - strange that that's the only IP showing on your device, I'd expect an IPv4 as well.

192.168.1.255 is the broadcast IP for your network, just ignore that.

At this point I'd recommend resetting the whole network as something untoward is going on, probably with the dhcp. 

My APs have a local IP for connecting to configure them, I'm sure most APs would have an IP surely or how else does the traffic know where to go from the router without an address? Idk I could be wrong, limited knowledge.

Il give the modem a redo when I'm home not done that in a while, I moved my gear not too long ago and the issue stopped for some time (disconnected switch), so it's likely something coming off that switch I recon. My APs definitely have a local IP to connect to a web portal config, not dissimilar to what you'd see connecting to the Vodafone hub.

Jayach

@roryrocker13 wrote:

My APs have a local IP for connecting to configure them, I'm sure most APs would have an IP surely or how else does the traffic know where to go from the router without an address? 

LOL, it doesn't need to know where to go, it just follows the bit of wire.

Are these actual Access Points, or just routers acting as AP's?

Cynric

@roryrocker13 

I suspect that there are at least two devices on the same IP address. Without seeing a topology map I cannot rule-out a feedback loop, when your devices are not busy how much do the traffic lights flash? I think that you are going to have to disconnect everything and then methodically put things back onto the LAN one-by-one, and this includes any APs or switches. Lastly you could have a broken ethernet cable.