Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Landline phone with own router on FTTP

bruce_miranda
4: Newbie

Just got FTTP and everything is working fine off the VF router. Phone lines are plugged into the VF router, VF router's WiFi is switched off. 3rd party Mesh has been switched to Bridge mode and plugged into the VF's ethernet port.

However I am shocked at how feature poor the VF router is. e.g. There are no Parental controls at all. I know I can get rid of the VF router and plug my own Mesh router into the Openreach ONT, but what about the Landline. 

Are there any 3rd party routers in the market that have a telephone socket at the back to allow the home phone to be plugged in? 

562 REPLIES 562

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@bruce_miranda wrote:

Are there any 3rd party routers in the market that have a telephone socket at the back to allow the home phone to be plugged in? 

Yes, but you can't use them with the Vodafone VoIP service as they don't release the details.

Well that's a real shame, which means that there is no way you can get rid of the VF router if you need VOIP too.

However out of curiosity, which 3rd party routers have telephone jacks? 

Jayach

There don't seem to be many, I would imagine most people would buy a router for its routing facilities, and add an ATA (Analogue Telephone Adapter) to it.

However a quick search found the Cisco SPA122, the ASUS DSL-AC68VG and the TP-Link AC1600, but the last 2 are DSL so not really suitable.

If you do a search for routers with VoIP, or routers with ATA, you should find more.

As you already have a capable router, then adding an ATA and 3rd party VoIP service would be the way to go.

I had seen those but then I would have to get a new VOIP service and that wouldn't have our normal landline number, a number we have had forever. Why is Vodafone so possessive about giving away the VOIP details so we can do away with the ISP kit completely. 

If you were able to get the details then your best bet for an all-in router would probably be from AVM Fritzbox or Draytek.  As a consumer device, the Fritzbox is probably the better choice, though some models do suffer from poor range.

Jayach

@CrimsonLiar wrote:

If you were able to get the details 

That's a big if.

AFAIK no one has managed it yet.

Here you go:

https://github.com/clayface/VF-UK-Asterisk-config

Vodafone will give you the username and password. You'll need to get a VOIP phone/app to connect. In this case I have Asterisk running on the router (OpenWrt) and using a Grandstream WP820/WP810 as clients. Another option is to connect directly to Vodafone from the device but these settings will vary between devices.

You could also use something like a Linksys SPA3102 if you really need to keep the old phone, but likewise you'll have to translate the Asterisk config over.

So you managed to get Vodafone to give you the VOIP details needed to make your home landline work without needing the Vodafone router?

I know I can get and pay for another VOIP number but that is not what I need. I need to get my current landline working without the Vodafone router.

Vodafone will give you a username, password and server, which you can use with the info I have provided. They can definitely tell you this so ask to escalate the call if the person you are speaking to isn't able to.