Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SNR Margin(dB)

JayS90
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,

I've recently been having issues with my broadband connection, despite my router showing the connection as connected nothing will load on any device (ethernet or wireless) and I have to disconnect and reconnect the connection on average twice a day in the router's GUI.

Here are my DSL readings including the SNR Margin(dB):

Upstream | Downstream

Current Rate(kbps)1999979999
Max Rate(kbps)2482888132
SNR Margin(dB)14.75.7
Line Attenuation(dB)17.910.1
Errors(pkts)3850

The SNR Margin(dB) downstream appears to be quite low, which is making me think the line must be frequently dropping. Can someone at Vodafone please adjust my downstream SNR Margin(dB) by +1(dB) please? Or do I need to send an email, or phone them, or get on to their live chat?

Any help would be appreciated :Smiling:

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hey @JayS90 

Unfortunately there is no account access via this forum anymore.

You would therefore need to contact the Vodafone Broadband Team via a call 08080 034 515  (free from all UK landlines and mobiles) with lines open between 8am and 11pm, seven days a week. 》Broadband-and-Home-Phone-FAQs. 

The Vodafone Social Media Teams also have account access 》Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. 

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The SNR value on the line is generally selected by the cabinet and can go as low as 3dB.  To get a value of 5.7dB with a bit (symbol) rate of 79999 kbps suggest you must almost be on top of the cabinet.  Personally I'd doubt that the SNR value is the culprit!

I'd check to see if devices that are connected to the router using a cable rather than WiFi are also affected, and then speak to customer services regards getting the situation monitored!

FYI:  I'm connected to a cabinet that until a month ago has suffered ongoing issues (affecting everyone connected to it).  We've now had a month of stability, and everyone has seen an increase in their connection speeds.  So I'm getting 49Mbps with a SNR or 3-4dB, and it's stable enough for me to stream on Google Stadia at 45Mbps+!

Thanks for the insight! The cabinet is literally against the wall of my property.

I've been monitoring the issue and other wired devices connected to the router are also affected. My laptop is connected via ethernet directly in to the back of the router, and I have a network switch that's connected via ethernet from the router which provides wired connections for all of my devices under the TV. My laptop is affected along with all of the devices connected via the switch when the problem occurs. Wireless connections are also affected.

The router reports that the internet connection is connected on the GUI, but no connections can be established on any devices until I disconnect and then reconnect. This is why I came to the conclusion that it may be an issue on the line.

If it's not related to the SNR Margin, any ideas on what it may be? I'm using a third-party router so I doubt Vodafone will offer much in the way of tech support.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to make a wild stab in the dark here!  You're using a Netgear DM200 modem aren't you?  If you are, ditch it and get a Huawei HG612 V3b, Draytek Vigor 130, or a Billion modem/router.  What it is about that particular modem is a mystery, but for some reason they just are not compatible with the OpenReach network any longer - 2 years ago they worked, now they perform oddly!

If you are not using the Netgear modem, then a bit more info on the equipment might help.  *pfsense routers may also be problematic.

Nope, not a Netgear DM200. My apologies, I should have specified my hardware initially! I'm using a TP-LINK Archer VR900. Any ideas? I'm still having the problem, Vodafone support said they made checks and there are no apparent issues on the line.