Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Stop Vodafone router channel hopping?

smithpauld
4: Newbie

I've got a new (2021/07/09) Vodafone ADSL/WiFi hub but I cannot see how I stop the WiFi from channel hopping.  I have had issues in the past with some older devices which cannot keep up with router channel hopping and this was solved by stopping my old router from switching channels and using a fixed channel.

So how do I stop the Vodafone router from channel hopping?

14 REPLIES 14

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

You can update the automatic channel scan in in your GUI @smithpauld. For help doing this, check out our online guide and let us know how you get on. 

Mark, my router is different - it's an A5 sized rectangle and the settings do not have the settings you mention.

v-router.png

Yes you can follow the thread here:-

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/Can-I-change-my-home-broadband-channel/td-p/... 

I have posted instructions on how to do this, because Vodafone have taken the functionality out of both the router GUI and the Vodafone Broadband app. You will need an Android device to load an old version of the Vodafone Broadband app on, so you can set the wi-fi channels to a manual frequency. My post about how to do it is at 5/8/21 at 01:44pm.

Thanks - this is absolutely stupid!  My old router from Talktalk had channel hopping enabled as the default but you could turn it off and select a channel.  I have some old WiFi devices, especially my Roberts Internet Radio (WM202) that has real difficulty keeping up with channel hopping routers and it took for a while to figure this out and disable it on the old router.

Is there a telnet/SNMP interface to these routers that avoids having to go down the "ye olde app" route?  Clearly the internal functionality is still there.

Alternatively, Vodafone, please restore this function - by all mean, leave hopping as the default but some of us need to be able to force the channel!

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@smithpauld wrote:

Alternatively, Vodafone, please restore this function - by all mean, leave hopping as the default but some of us need to be able to force the channel!

People have been asking for that for about a year, since they removed it, but Vodafone say they know better than us how to control our routers.

Yeah I know it's crazy, what were Vodafone thinking! They have created a rod for their own back with tech support calls and on here.

The thing is the firmware on the routers are built with OpenWRT, because when you search for it on a network it shows up as a OpenWRT router. It's daft to keep restricting the firmware, obviously what they have done is just hidden it as a menu option. I wonder if someone still has the old url of the page where you can change the channel option.

A while ago I did an experiment with a THG3000. I connected it to my LAN and blocked it from connecting to VF. At that point it had a different behaviour in the UI, there is a fall-back firmware. Once it connects to VF the UI changes. This is not a proposed work around and was only an exercise to investigate the code changes when it first happened.

This is what I found about it on the OpenWRT website:-

https://openwrt.org/toh/vodafone/vodafone_power_station 

It shows there are 3 different variations of the router worldwide. The thing I never realised from the specs of the router is that the modem inside isn't just compatible with VDSL2 and FTTP, it can also connect on a G.Fast broadband connection as well.

Sadly not OpenWrt supported or I would have tried to replace the firmware ages ago.