cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

THG300 - FTTP 900/100 - Doubts on router Wifi stability.

davecullen86
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hey guys

Second post here!  A long-time VF customer, but recently upgraded to FTTP (Openreach) 900/100 as it became available.

Previously I used a PFSense FW/Router and 2 x Unifi Pro Wifi5 AP setup.

It was solid, but the fact that the THG3000 + 2 "Super Boosters" (connected in AP mode via ethernet) and the VF Pro option with 4G backup is all part of the VF service, I took the leap to retire my "more advanced" setup for the newer technology option (Wifi 6 +pro 4G backup).

So far, I am seeing a superior wireless throughput, but a less reliable Wifi experience generally, where the VF solution causes devices to struggle to connect, or disconnect for a short period, forcing 4G usage in the phone scenario for example.

Pretty poor and not what I'd expect.

Does anyone else experience the same?  Is it just me? Any clues on what I can do?

My knowledge of networking is advanced, but with the VF solution, I have pretty much zero advanced options to troubleshoot this issue.  I.E No PCAP options (other than switch mirror port), no log access in the router or no analytics data generally.

If honest, I'm tempted to go back to my old setup and possibly upgrade that to Wifi6.  But surely the VF provided kit should be fit for purpose here right?  This is a home network, nothing crazy 🙂 I just want reliability! Thx - Dave

2 REPLIES 2

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

The whole WiFi6 thing seems to be a bit of a mystery.  As far as I can tell there is no new router that has WiFi capability.  BUT the Pro package extender with built-in Alexa (and only that one as far as I can tell) supposedly supports WiFi6.  We'd really need someone with some network testing skills to actually figure out what's happening with this set up and how well it works.

Heads up I don't have the THG3000, as I only use my own equipment, but there is still a HHG2500 in a cupboard here.  One of the problems with many ISP-provided routers is that the antennas are just etched traces on the PCB, which tends to create a very specific transmission pattern.  When it works "apparently" the WiFi is not bad, but when it doesn't work, there's not much you can do about it!

Finally, it's always seemed that the supplied routers provide the bare minimum, so I doubt anyone such as yourself is going to be happy with the cutdown abilities in the long run.  5GHz WiFi6 is surprisingly good, offering coverage similar to 2.4GHz, but with much greater speeds.

Thanks Crimson!

indeed I think you are realistic and right here.  I had high hopes but how could this device compete I suppose!

I am likely to go back to PFsense and buy 3 Unifi Wi-Fi 6 lite APs. 
Ill play around with the USB dongle and even try a 3rd party 4G to Ethernet modem to get the value from the 4G backup.  But if I’m honest, the signal on that supplied 4G dongle is also crap so isn’t giving much value as it is today also haha! Thanks VF lol.

ultimately the product is aimed at the standard home user. For which it probably works well!