cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

THG3000 - what is it good for? Doorstop? Paper-weight? Letter-box draught excluder?

norfolk_uk
4: Newbie

It doesn't seem to do much but does anyone know whether I can set up static routes on it? Or subnet two networks?

Failing that, has anyone had any success flashing it with OpenWRT?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

network123
5: Helper

Can't do either of those, but would make a good door stop to be fair. The best thing it can do it make 2 WLANs.

Not flashed it with OpenWRT yet, but am wanting to know if that is possible. 

@network123 wrote:

Can't do either of those, but would make a good door stop to be fair. The best thing it can do it make 2 WLANs.

Not flashed it with OpenWRT yet, but am wanting to know if that is possible. 

I'm sure you've probably found by now, it's not. 

It runs a custom build of OpenWrt, but the fact it has a Broadcom SoC is bad news, as OpenWrt and Broadcom aren't a good mix as there aren't any open/FOSS drivers, where as whoever manufactured the unit Vodafone use, implemented Broadcom's proprietary driver, because it will have been licensed.

OpenWrt doesn't use non-free drivers in their firmware.

Bringing your own modem and your own router will be the best option there for flexibility.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think a quick google search should reveal whether the THG3000 can use an Open-WRT firmware.  Our telling you how to do such a thing though would almost certainly be a breach of the T&Cs for the site.  If such a modification were possible you'd also have to remember that should you ever leave VF they'll want their router back, presumably in a usable state!

As for "What is it good for" my personal answer is a bit Frankie Goes to Hollywood!