Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Tearing Hair out with lost Internet connection with 3rd Party router

dw89
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Dear All,

I'm doing this in the desperate hope that someone out there has come across this also and has some knowledge of a UK no for tech support who actually has access to the user Db to check what's going on! In the meantime I'll be reading other posts to see if there's anything that helps.

Quick synopsis: IT Con of 20yrs, large home network and all working fine, with Asus DSL router for 10mnths plus using my personal Voda supplied user/pw to Voda servers. All of a sudden, 24 hours ago, all internet is dropped. I checked everything, of course, and all was 'fine'. Line up, router working etc etc. All coming down to authentication imho with ACS or similar. So, as this happened once before and was swiftly dealt with, I thought it'd be no problem. Well, 11 calls, half a day off work, one engineer visit and 4.5 hours solid on phone to various, ahem, technical people in India I'm back exactly where I started. Their knowledge is truly frightening. They seem to follow a checklist and if you vary from that, they can't keep up or diagnose.

After much diagnosis, myself, I got a connection (using the Vodafone Huawei router - which I do not wish to use) after changing the DNS servers but provisioning is obviously done in some way via serial no as no user/password for PPP is required. As soon as I plug in ANY 3rd party router (Asus, BT, EE) where user/pw is required the line connects but no provision is given. Somebody clearly changed something, a permission, or something for my user and try as I have to explain (as many times as I have), even to Tech Level 2, they just don't seem to get that I need someone with Sysadmin privs just to check permissions in whatever Db as regards my account/user. Every time I spend an hour on the phone I have to go through it ALL again, they waste their time running ALL the needless 'idiot' checks again and we always end up in the same place..... with them saying 'it's a 3rd party router, we can only give you user/pw and it's your problem'.

They seem completely lost to comprehend a) it was working fine for 10 months b) 3 routers modems cannot ALL suddenly be broken c) not one person has understood the need, or has the ability, to check my user. Something somewhere has changed....how do I find someone who understands this and doesn't keep asking me...'Is the light on', 'Is the power on'. It's unbearable and I have zero faith in their, even, understanding of the issue; let alone ability to solve it.

Please help, any UK tech no. would be better than another wasted hour to India.

Cheers

dw:)

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

The only reason I can think of why the VF supplied router which retrieves (on first use/reset/failed authentication)  it's Un/Pass from an ACS (Auto Configuration Server) will connect but nothing else will is that the Un/Pass have for some reason been changed!

Why this would/could happen is a mystery, but we are talking VF here.

Thanks for the reply, I've already got more sense from them than VF!

So to recap so far:

1) No Internet and, seemingly, no DSL (on Asus). Tried many things, didn't work.

2) Connected VF RTR to Mstr Socket. Seemingly VDSL conn but no internet. Couldn't ping google from cmd line and logs clearly stated ACS conn failure.

3) After many irate phone calls etc L2 Tech Support did 'something' on the line. I saw VDSL go down and come back up again and I 'could' ping google. No safari but I changed DNS and all was fine.

4) Plugged in Asus again and nothing. Not even DSL light coming on. Put back to factory settings and still not even DSL light coming on.

So, either modem on my Asus is fried or, 'somehow' they have blocked it (and my username/pw). How I don't know, maybe they have a way to block via MAC address and many, say, failed logins so they think it's spamming the Db, I don't know but it's either bust or it's VF. What makes me think it 'could' still be VF is the fact that, until they did something, even the VF rtr was failing ACS.

I guess my only option is to buy a brand new Asus 68 and check it. It would be nice if VF could actually check the permissions for my user in the Db but that seems to be a request akin to being able to storm the US capitol building and get away with it, lol.

Any ideas/suggestions would, of course, be greatfully received.

KR, dw:)

Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess if we are in the land of the ridiculous, I'd probably also be checking that your Web browser is not changing the account password for you (hidden from site) when you visit the WAN settings page.

Tried that Sir, no issue there.

Jayach
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

@dw89 wrote:

1) No Internet and, seemingly, no DSL (on Asus). Tried many things, didn't work.

2) Connected VF RTR to Mstr Socket. Seemingly VDSL conn but no internet. Couldn't ping google from cmd line and logs clearly stated ACS conn failure.

1) I would say if you aren't getting the DSL indicator then your modem can't even connect to the cabinet so your authentication will never occur. Sounds like the Asus is faulty.

2) Are you now saying the Vodafone router is not connecting?

Update: Not 100% sure but does indeed seem to be a broken modem. Asus seem to think so but will be sending it off to retailer to check. So, not VF's fault on that one but just a shame the tech help is so 'Basic' as I could have got to  this point much quicker if they'd asked the right questions and, more importantly, understood mine and had access to the ACS Db.

KR, dw