Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Upstream Power Level

Bvertly
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Are upstream power levels typically this low on Vodafone Fibre 2? Currently getting -7.6 dBm

I swapped from BT about two months ago and have noticed a big difference when playing games on my new Vodafone connection. I play a clientside game, where hits and kills are registered on an individuals computer and then sent to the game server for registering. They are then checked and cross referenced with the oponents data. If there is lag in sending your data then it can appears as a kill lag on screen. I have noticed hits coming through instantaneously, one big instantaneous mag dumb followed by a kill, and none of my hits getting registered.

I think I may have an upload issue with my Vodafone connection. I live right next to the local exchange. It's my next door neighbour. Street cabinet in right outside my house. Line is likely very short, hence all the other good line stats. But the upload looks horrible. Errors and low power levels.

Modem is connected directly to the test socket. No filters needed as no phones or fax machines in the house. No other internal wiring that could be at fault as I'm connected to the test socket. There's some interleaving on the download side for some reason, but no delay has yet been added.

How does the upload side look to you guys?

DSL Status Information

DSL Mode

ITU-T G.993.2_Annex_B (VDSL2)

DSL Uptime

1 day, 13 hours, 18 minutes and 3 seconds

Line Coding

DMT

Status

Connected

Number of Cuts

Link Power State

L0

Line Quality

Downstream

Upstream

Current Rate

79999 kbps

19999 kbps

Maximum Rate

104392 kbps

30988 kbps

Signal-to-Noise Ratio

12.1 dB

15.4 dB

Attenuation

DS1 6.2 dB, DS2 11.8 dB, DS3 17.5 dB

US0 2.6 dB, US1 8.9 dB, US2 12.6 dB

Power

13.9 dBm

-7.6 dBm

CRC Errors in last 2238 minute(s)

K (number of bytes in DMT frame)

R (number of bytes in RS code word)

S (RS code word size in DMT frame)

D (interleaver depth)

Delay

0 ms

0 ms

Downstream

Upstream

Super Frames

Super Frame Errors

RS Words

RS Correctable Errors

RS Uncorrectable Errors

Downstream

Upstream

HEC Errors

OCD Errors

LCD Errors

Total Cells

Data Cells

Bit Errors

Downstream

Upstream

Total ES

Total SES

Total UAS

21 REPLIES 21

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

With an uptime of just "1 day, 13 hours, 18 minutes and 3 seconds" and assuming you've had this connection for a while I have to ask, did you disconnect it? How frequently are you disconnection it?

Sounds like DLM has detected a potential fault (the disconnects) and has changed the SNR in an effort to stabilise your connection. This being the case there's not a lot you can do other than keep it connected (including no router reboots) could take a few weeks to normalise again. 

The power level on the Upload has been that low since it was installed around start of September. Interleaving depth on the download side has always been 16 since it was installed. I was unable to see these stats with my previous BT Modem so no idea if they set any interleaving.

It was connected for 32 days with the same or similar stats you see above before being powered off to correct a low bandwidth issue. It was saying it was syncing at 79999 kbps but I was only able to download at max 8 Mbps on an ethernet connection.

I've done a quiet line test and believe I can hear a bit of noise on the line but can't be certain as the phone is cheap and bought solely to test the line. 

Ripshod

Would also be worth setting up a ThinkBroadband BQM and seeing the results of that overnight. 

Jayach

@Ripshod wrote:
Sounds like DLM has detected a potential fault (the disconnects) and has changed the SNR in an effort to stabilise your connection. 

No, the SNR is high because the line is at it's maximum rate 

Ripshod

Out of interest can you run a quick traceroute to bbc.com and copy the results here. 

The first hop will be from my RX27 pro router to the Vodafone router. Issue was there before I installed the RX27.
BBC Traceroute.png

I did it again and this time it had a number of time-outs and chose a different route.

BBC Tracert second.png

Ripshod

Your gateway is Edinburgh. But the time that hop is taking, I'll wager you're nowhere near. 

No, I'm in Northern Ireland. The IP address the modem connected with when it was reset is registered in Glasgow. All my phone apps think I'm in Glasgow. Kept getting weather notifications for Glasgow. I'd have to keep reconnecting the modem to see if I could get an IP address local to NI... But that would irritate the DLM and ruin my connection. I won't be doing that.

I also read on this forum that Vodafone can't give a static IP address for NI as they don't have any. Then only have dynamic ones and it's pot luck if you get one when connecting.