Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Using Non VF router

Madhatter
4: Newbie

Hi,

I have a fritzbox 7530 that I can use as having some wifi issues with a particular device and wondering if anyone has used the FB and if it was as good if not better than the THG3000, which I have found 100% better than the Plusnets.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

PlusNet's router is worse than the vox3? I always thought the vodafone was the worst both in performance and configuration.

Try the FB, if it does what you want just use it.

You'll need your PPPoE details from vodafone so request them now:

https://vodafone.co.uk/bbservcd

VVLAN ID = 101

Jayach

@Ripshod wrote:

PlusNet's router is worse than the vox3? I always thought the vodafone was the worst both in performance and configuration.

I'd thought that too, there have been posts on here from ex-PlusNet customers complaining the THG3000 Wi-Fi wasn't as good as PlusNet's.

As for the Fritz!Box, yes "suck it and see" would apply, but the specs seem O.K., and they do have a good reputation.

Cynric

Just about anything is better than the THG3000. 

CrimsonLiar

Suck it and see is probably the best advice.  The Fritzbox!7530 is definitely a more advanced router with some really nice features - however, it does get its own moans about poor transmit distance on 5GHz!

Jayach

@Cynric wrote:

Just about anything is better than the THG3000. 

I rather like the THG3000, except it is really ugly and crippled by Vodafone's firmware.

I find the Wi-Fi range perfectly good. Mind you I've had some atrocious ISP routers previously so haven't much to judge it by. (and they were all 2.4Ghz only)

CrimsonLiar

The THG3000 ugly?  You've not seen the Asus GT-AX6000 in the flesh, it looks like it was designed by the same people who came up with Red Dwarf's scutters!  In terms of ugly the GT-AX6000 is in a league of its own - performance wise it is rather good though!

I have found the VF miles better than Plusnet and the BT home hub. I was using both whilst on PN and the connection used to drop regularly, which dropped synch speed.

Since moving to VF, the router has been rocked solid for me, now get a connection once a month, occasionally 3 times a month and synch speed is around 4 to 5 MB higher than PN.

Cynric

.@Madhatter Would you mind clarifying your comment, "connection once a month" please? It sounds like either the router is resetting or that you are turning it off. Thanks.

Ripshod

Wait til you need to go through the logs, or have the need to manually set a lower wifi channel for IoT devices........... 

The list goes on, just look around these forums to see how crippled that grey box really is.